vinyl floor lifted - water

Old 03-29-07, 11:59 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl floor lifted - water

I had some water damage and my vinyl floor lifted in a small area. there are 2 layers benieth that need to be cut out and built back up (ideas on this would be helpfull). the seem where the floor lifted seems to have seperated (shrank?) is there anyway to bring it together or make it less noticible.

getting a new floor is an option but my wife seems to like our existing floor more than any new ones she can find.

Old 03-29-07, 09:05 PM
S
Two layers of what? Underlayment or old vinyl? In any case, I really think it's new floor time. You'd be amazed how long that moisture will hang around under that vinyl. The stuff has an impervious wear layer on top so the water can't evaporate through it. It gets trapped under it and begins to sour and promote mold growth. Even if you try to fix it, do you have a matching piece to plug into the repair? If so, a repair is doable. If not, it seems the whole thing is academic anyhow. One thing you might try. Use a good straight edge, such as a good framing square, and cut the bad spot out, being careful to keep track of it's orientation on the floor. Set it aside and investigate what's under it. This may verify the need for a new floor. If not and you think it's plenty dry under there, do whatever filling you need to do to bring the floor up to the same level as the rest of the floor, minus the thickness of the final layer. Then peel any old layers of vinyl off the layer you want to keep, which will be much easier said than done, if even possible. You should then be able to glue the piece you cut out back into the place you removed it from, seal the seam, and pray that it holds. If you're most likely going to have to replace the floor anyhow, you've nothing to lose if it doesn't work and it just may work.

Old 03-30-07, 06:18 AM
L
If you're most likely going to have to replace the floor anyhow, you've nothing to lose if it doesn't work and it just may work.
>>>>>>

thats what im thinking. the new floor seems to just peel off the lower layers in the area in question. and I can just fold it over the other layers. vinyl/linolium are also lifting. my main prob seems to be (as long as I can dry out underneath) is that the seam seems to have seperated when I lie the floor down.

Old 03-30-07, 01:23 PM
S
At this point, I have to admit to a little confusion. Are you saying the top layer is vinyl, but not glued to the lower layers? If so, that may explain the seam issue. The vinyl may be shrinking at the seam. It's possible the sealer was a bit scarce on that part of the seam. Any chance of some pictures to aid in diagnosis?

Old 03-30-07, 01:32 PM
L
the water caused the top layer in a small area at one end of the room to seperate. it also caused thethe lower layers to seperate from each other.
the top layer was glued but the area that bubbled up was near the seam. To see how wet it was I picked up that area of the floor and broke the seem. now when you lay the floor back down the seam has seperated as if the vinyl shrank.

Last edited by lupi2279; 03-30-07 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 04:32 PM
S
Have you checked for moisture? Did that wonderfull odor of stale water and mold come wafting out when you pulled the layer back? When you broke the seam, did it appear to have been sealed? If there is no more moisture and it looks as if you can pull it off, you could try injecting glue under each layer with a horse syringe by stabbing the needle trough the vinyl and squirting glue under there. Do this with each layer. When all three are glued, clean the seam out with a hook bill knife or something, draw it together with duct tape, and let it dry good. In a day or so, carefully remove the tape and seal the seam. It would help a lot to know who made the vinyl so you can get the correct seam sealer and use the right stuff to clean it. This is, of course, all just conjecture at this point. If there's still water under there, the floor needs to come up to deal with it or there are issues on the way.

Old 03-31-07, 06:46 AM
L
congolium,

yeah its a tad musty. I was thinking fold back some more and try to dry out. If it doesnt work Ill have to replase.

Old 03-31-07, 06:52 AM
S
Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd just urge that you don't try to short cut or poor boy it, it isn't worth it. If water remains under there long enough, it will start to grow mold which will begin to turn the surface of the vinyl black, just under the wear layer. There will be no washing it off and the stain will continue to spread, causing the vinyl to look blotchy. Have fun and let us know how it all shakes out.

Old 03-31-07, 08:02 AM
L
thanks a lot

jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: