Kitchen renovation, dealing with linoleum floor

Old 04-02-07, 10:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen renovation, dealing with linoleum floor

Hey guys-

I'm in the planning stages for a pretty extensive kitchen overhaul. The one thing I won't be changing is the flooring. While the house is old (1900), the linoleum flooring is new and I rather like it.

One thing I would very much like to do is take a peninsula countertop currently installed, sever it and move it about 2 feet down to turn it into an island, which will greatly improve the workflow and traffic in the area. It's obvious the linoleum was laid down without moving the counters, so I know that when I move this section, there will be a spot of about 4 s/f that will have older linoleum visible, or maybe just subfloor, I'm not sure.

The linoleum in there now that I like is one that they carry at Home Depot - is it possible, with a little care, to just buy a swatch of that, match up the pattern, and drop it in the hole left by the counter? Paying attention to make sure elevations match, etc. I'm not sure what kind of results to expect, and it will be a fairly high-traffic area. I don't want it to turn out to be the kind of thing where the corners or edges peel up and generally look lame. I figure a seam will be visible if you're looking for it, but I'd like to think it's at least doable.

Thoughts on that? Any other ways I could go about dealing with this?

Thanks!

Darin

Old 04-02-07, 08:08 PM
S
Yes, what you propose is doable and, if you want to keep the existing floor, is one of two ways to go. Your potential issue will be dye lot. It's fairly unlikely you'll be able to match the existing dye lot and the plugged in piece may be a fairly noticeably different color. If done correctly, the seams shouldn't be a problem, but may actually be the least of your problems. Another way to go, since they have this material in stock, would be to patch the missing spot and reskin the whole thing with another layer of the same material.

Old 04-25-07, 04:14 AM
F
another potential problem other than dye lot shade variance is shade variance from wear.

Patching in a brand new piece into an existing floor with some wear might be a varying shade and stand out like a sore thumb as well.

The combination of the two could make it stand out considerably.

It isnt impossible, but it might not look right.

Then again it might be the perfect match.

Won't know until you try it or bring a piece home to lay on the floor and to see any visual shade variance or not.

As inexpensive as home depoit is, I would just recover the whole thing so I wouldnt be inadvertently wasting time and money, to be sure its right the first time, but that's me.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-25-07 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Nonprogressive language edited

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: