Replacement of carpet with vinyl or linoleum flooring

Old 04-27-07, 07:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replacement of carpet with vinyl or linoleum flooring

Our master bathroom has carpet. We are the 3rd owners of this home and really want it out. I don't know what the 1st owners were thinking in the first place!
I already pulled up a corner section of carpet near the bathtub. There is water damage already. Underneath the foam padding, there is waferboard (is there such a thing?) then osb underneath. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this project? Do I just need to remove the strips that have water damage? or do i need to replace the whole flooring?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-27-07, 09:12 PM
T
Remove carpet, cushion, and wafer board. Inspect OSB for damage. Damaged boards can be cut out and replaced. 1/4" plywood underlayment for vinyl floor covering can then be installed over OSB to provide a clean, smooth surface for installing vinyl or linoleum. If moisture issues around the tub are not addressed, new floor cover will incur damage too. Make sure shower door does not leak. If shower curtain is used, make sure it is properly sized and fitted so that it does not leak. Seal gap between vinyl and tub with silicone caulk to prevent moisture from getting under new floor covering.

Old 04-28-07, 09:16 PM
S
Replacement of carpet with vinyl or linoleum flooring

Twelvepole,
Thanks for the advice. I am not sure how to go about cutting out the damaged boards. What sort of tool(s) do you suggest? Also, I am not sure if it is waferboard. It looks like MDF on the 2nd layer and OSB on the bottom layer. Is there anyway I can email you some images to verify what I have? You can tell I am new at this and just want to do it right.

I have already removed the carpet and cushion. I am starting to remove the 2nd layer but stopped because I needed more guidance.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-07, 12:19 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
replacing flooring

Hi! Concerning your bathroom floor, I would replace the whole floor especially if I thought that the floor consist of waferboard. Also make sure there isn't any sign of moisture present. Take the time to caulk where necessary. It's well worth it!

Old 04-29-07, 11:48 AM
S
replacement of carpet with vinyl or lino

Hi Handypro,
What sort of tool(s) would you suggest I use to take out the waferboard?

I just don't want to buy the wrong tools!

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: