My sister used Comet Cleanser on vinyl tiles!

Old 05-12-07, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry My sister used Comet Cleanser on vinyl tiles!

We have a large enclosed porch with an old vinyl tile floor.
The floor still looks nice after 40 years.

Today I walked into the porch and noticed this dull, scratchy finish over the whole floor. Then I discovered that COMET CLEANSER was used by my sister on the entire floor!!!!

I almost started crying. I tried telling her that comet is too abrasive.
She thinks I'm just trying to pick a fight and that it is perfectly harmless to use comet cleanser.

If there is anyone out there that has any expert knowledge on vinyl tiles, please reply to this post with your thoughts on using comet cleanser.
I need my sister to hear it from someone besides me that comet cleanser can actually damage the floor.

I forgot to mention that she also used a green scrunger, the kind of abrasive srubbers used for pots and pans.

Also, what I need to do to the floor to try to salvage what is left.

Thanks for reading.

Nancy

Old 05-12-07, 04:37 PM
S
Not to panic, vinyl tiles are VERY durable. The biggest advantage to them is that the color goes all the way through so they are not damaged, just scuffed up. If you want to go to the effort, you can get a good stripper, strip the floor of the finish, reseal it with a good floor sealer, and then wax it about three coats and it'll look like a new floor. If you have access to one, a janitor's buffer with a fairly mild pad might buff it out without all the other stuff, but this might be a great excuse to give it a good face lift. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't as tough as it sounds.

Old 05-12-07, 06:34 PM
T
Do not clean vinyl floor tiles with abrasive cleaners.

Old 05-13-07, 07:59 AM
I purchased some industrial floor stripper and wax.
I cannot seem to find a floor "sealer".

Could you recommend a brand of floor sealer or where one might find this?

Thanks for your replies.

Nancy

Old 05-13-07, 08:21 AM
S
The Ace Hardware in my area carries a floor sealer. You might also be able to get it at a janitorial supply place.

Old 05-13-07, 12:46 PM
Last Question... I Promise.

At the hardware store I could not find anything that was called a "sealer". However, there were a couple called finishers. Is that the same thing as a sealer?

Thanks for your reply.

Nancy

Old 05-13-07, 12:55 PM
T
Sealers and surface finishes are different. A sealer is a base coat over which a couple coats of finish are applied. Cleaning with pH neutral cleaner is important for maintaining finish. It is always important to rinse floor after cleaning.

There are strippers for removing sealer and finish. Depending on proper cleaning and amount of traffic wax may not have to be stripped but every year or so. If you are lucky enough to have a janitorial supply in your area, you will find that the products used by the pros are better than what is found in cleaning aisles. You may have luck finding floor care products at a local home center.

Old 05-13-07, 07:00 PM
I know that no more questions would be posted from me.....
but this is too important. sorry

You mentioned that the sealer is the base coat then a couple of coats of finish..
Would the finish be like a wax?
Or could the wax be used instead of the finish?
Or the wax be the final coat over the finish?

Do you see why this is confusing me? lol
The thing is that I picked up some of that industrial wax already.
I used it on my basement tile which turned out beautiful.
That was a lot of work though.
Haven't tried it on this floor yet.

Also, it's been over 40 yrs since the tile was installed making it hard to remember, what if the tile was considered a "no-wax" tile?
Would that make a difference for using a finish or wax?

Thanks again.

Nancy

Old 05-13-07, 07:45 PM
T
The professionals use a sealer and then apply wax or polish over the sealer. The wax or polish is the surface finish. If you have industrial wax, go for it.

40 years ago I think they did not have no wax tile. Yours are probably the 12x12" vinyl composition tiles or could be linoleum, but color goes all the way through.

The 'no wax' is marketing to appeal to homeowners who want low maintenance floor covering. When wear layer dulls over time from use, abuse, and harsh cleaners, they can be given new life with wax. No wax finishes are usually found on lower quality vinyls. Urethane finishes are more durable than no wax, but they eventually wear too. Enhanced urethane finishes on vinyl is the most durable and very stain resistant.

pH neutral floor cleaner for mopping will help maintain finish and prevent dulling. You can Google to find some of the brand names of pH neutral floor cleaners. I believe Formula 409 Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner is a pH-neutral cleaner.

I know this is getting technical, but pH is measured on a scale of 1-14 with 7 neutral. Less than 7 is acidic, greater than 7 is alkaline. Cleaners are either acidic or alkaline and are chosen based on the needed characteristics the pH levels offer for particular cleaning problems. Thus, using the wrong cleaners on surfaces can damage finishes and surfaces.

"I know that no more questions would be posted from me.....
but this is too important. sorry." No need to apologize. It's my job to serve you. Ask a zillion questions on our forums. I am sure if I had lots of questions about something, that you'd answer all of them, too. Gotta another question, post it!

Feel free to post questions any time in any forum. Also feel free to read and answer questions in forums. If you have 40-year-old tiles, I'm sure you have lots of experiences with your home. Our Lifestyle Forums offer opportunities in lots of areas of general interest re: hobbies, crafts, etc. Chime in!

Old 05-13-07, 09:32 PM
S
Absolutely, chime in. I don't know what gave you the idea no more questions would be welcome, but it couldn't be farther from the truth. We do this because we enjoy it and with out questions to answer, it gets a bit boring. As for answering your current question, Twelvepole's on a roll, as usual.

Old 05-13-07, 09:36 PM
T
Thanks, Smokey. We love to rock and roll here and love questions, especially repeat ones because it keeps the discussion going. We all learn from everything posted here. Smokey has been one of the best loved family members here for a very long time. He chimes in where ever and you need to do so also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: