Leftover staples from floor removal

Old 05-18-07, 05:56 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leftover staples from floor removal

I have 1 " staples...tons of them...remianing from the vinyl and subfloor I removed to prep for a new floor. These staples are bedded in another layer of old linolium floor which I am going to leave in place as they possibly have the asbetos in them. What is the best method of covering or removing these. I was told by one contractor to either grind them off or pound them in. Won't these pre-existing staples get in the way of staples or nails for the new sub floor as the seams most likely will follow similiar lines?

Old 05-18-07, 06:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's an "odds" game. They may, then again, they may not. Normally, any new fasteners will just slip around them and go on in. The staples don't have much of a foot print and are made of round wire any how. I, personally, am sort of fussy about that kind of thing and would pull them, but I've seen lots of instances where they didn't and just pounded them down. I use a set of channel locks. The rounded head acts like a fulcrum and normally pulls them right out. Those kind of staples have an adhesive on them that is activated with heat from the friction of shooting them in so you may find that they just break when you try to pull them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: