Decorative Linoleum repair around new shower?

Old 06-21-07, 06:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Decorative Linoleum repair around new shower?

We have installed a new shower. The old shower was a square corner shower while the new shower is a "Neo-angle" corner shower. The new shower is somewhat bigger but its triangular/wedge footprint leaves a small patch of bare wood where the old square shower used to cover the subfloor.

I don't even know if this is possible but we do not want to replace the entire floor... so....

The interior decorator would like place a quarter circle "border" of linoleum around the outside perimeter of the shower. The "border" linoleum would be a different pattern from the existing linoleum, probably just a solid color - black, red, etc (to be determined).

The seam between the decorative "border" quarter circle and the existing linoleum would have to handled somehow..... maybe a seam sealer if the "border" linoleum is from the same MFR?

Is this even possible? Is there some other way to achieve the same effect? I would like to avoid any raised edges, no matter how small, because of the tripping hazard.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 06-21-07, 07:29 PM
S
Technically, yes, it's doable. BUT, (there's always a "but"), do you really want all those seams with their potential issues so close to such a major water source? Is the existing vinyl in any other part of the house? How about the utility room? The vinyl under a washing machine is often not adhered all that well due to past water issues. If you can find some of the existing vinyl that matches and is removable without destroying it, I think I'd be more inclined to use it to patch the small bare spot and then resurface the donor area. Fewer seams to potentially cause problems. If that isn't doable, the suggested remedy will work, just make sure it's sealed correctly and thoroughly.

Old 06-24-07, 11:38 AM
M
Thumbs up

There IS some usable patch material undreneath the washer/dryer area.

I am patiently waiting out the interior decorator on a decision!

Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: