Removing Black underlayment...tips?

Old 07-11-07, 06:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Black underlayment...tips?

we are removing an old vinyl floor in the kitchen that does have the black tar-like underlayment. I have already had it tested and neither the vinyl nor the black paper contains asbestos. Any tips/ tricks on getting that stuff up(the black paper that is)? Is there some sort of solvent or wall paper stripper that might work before I take the drum sander to it?

Old 07-12-07, 07:10 AM
S
This sounds like an old linoleum floor, as opposed to a vinyl floor. They were installed over black tar paper. It is normally not adhered to the floor and should just pull up. If such is not the case, I'd use a four inch razor scraper to get under it. I've seen a few of them where the tar had gotten warm and sort of glued itself to the floor, but came up easily once I got a scraper under it. I suppose it's possible some one glued this one down, in which case it'll be a lot of fun, but a razor scraper will still probably work best.

Old 07-12-07, 07:55 AM
T
exactly what I think might have happened (the glue thing) I have been using the razor scraper just didn't know if there was some sort of secret solvent that would help as well. Tried putting a little wallpaper remover on it and that seemed to help a little. But you're right, looks like old fashioned elbow grease might be the only way to go. Thanks so much for your help

Old 07-12-07, 08:03 AM
S
I'd try a heat gun as well. If you don't have access to one, Wagner has a power stripper that doesn't cost much. They are home owner quality and don't last much more than a job or two, but do the job as long as they last.

Old 07-12-07, 08:19 AM
T
Tried that too (heat gun) but I think that because the paper might have been glued also, makes for tough going

Old 07-12-07, 04:42 PM
B
Whats going back down?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: