Vinyl Planks_Konecto?

Old 07-30-07, 01:05 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vinyl Planks_Konecto?

Has anyone installed this newer item by Konecto? Think it's been out a little over a year. They're vinyl planks with selve adhisive strips that overlap and the floor floats. These planks measure 36x6. Home Depot now has a simular product that is about half the price. In my price range! (I think it may be Stain Master) Only been on the self at Home Depot about 6 weeks in my area. Looks really easy to install and Konecto says you can install over existing vinyl if it is sound. Just wondering how it holds up, if you can see foot prints on the darker color like I understand you can on laminates and if it is really as easy as it looks to install. Any info appreciated!

Thanks

Old 08-01-07, 12:35 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I just replaced the flooring in a commercial office that some one put peel and stick plank vinyl over carpet (shake your head, I know....). I have a neighbor who has 20" x 20" peel and stick vinyl squares in his kitchen and breakfast area, they are all peeling up. My opinion, they are garbage.

Look into Luxury Vinyl Tiles - they are commercial grade and you put them in with a pressure sensative adhesive that is troweled onto the subfloor. They come in squares and planks. Did I mention that they are "Commercial Grade"? That means you will find them in Supermarkets and Office Buildings etc. They have numerous looks from wood to tile. Adura make an exceptionally nice variety that has a textured clearcoat on them that gives them a 3D look of real tile or wood. You can also take a tile, bend in completely in half and it will come back to normal shape (try that with peel and stick)

Use the following link to check them out (drop down boxes available to view wood, plank or tile varieties):
http://www.mannington.com/residential/Adura/all.aspx?type=('15','16')&collection=404&color=0&pattern_type=0

If you are shopping only for price, then peel and stick away....

Old 08-01-07, 02:51 PM
S
I've had the same opinion of "peel N' stick" for years for the same reason. Another manufacturer is Earth Werks, their wood classic line. You can't tell it from wood when it's down unless you get down and pick at it. Here are a couple shots of it installed. The home owners did it them selves.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/Smokey49/vinylplank002-1.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/Smokey49/vinylplank003-1.jpg

Old 08-09-07, 12:44 PM
M
I just installed the ones from Home Depot. They look great and it was fairly easy to do.

I think this technology is alot different than peel and stick. This stuff only sticks to each other and not the subfloor so the adhesiveness of the subfloor isn't an issue.

For some reason my wife keeps thinking it is real wood flooring (cause of the grains).

But I'll keep my fingers crossed on the stickiness issue.

Old 08-09-07, 02:58 PM
The question is how will it hold up over time, when it gets heavy foot traffic, gets wet, has a spill, holds up to repeated cleaning, etc. As a professional, I have to stand behind all my installs, I would nervously guarantee if I was asked to put this sort of stuff in.

Old 08-11-07, 08:30 PM
Rae
Vinyl Planks at Home Depot

Hi Baggy, These Vinyl Planks that look like wood have just come into my area too, about 6 weeks. They are for sale at just one Home Depot here as a new test item. I am curious as to how they will hold up to traffic also. The store manager took me into a back manager's office where they had laid the entire room(8x8, very small office)with these planks in the 3 colors available. They did not stagger the planks as you should so could see an obvious demarc line in each color. The manager even mentioned this as not to open more product. I could tell this office was a very busy room. They had started with the darkest color at the door and there were foot prints. My color will be the lightest of the 3 colors, Oak. I am still on board though and I am checking back each week for a look and reports on this office floor as well other customers experience. I would like to pull up my carpet and put this down in the kitchen, dining rm and living room. I bought one box(about $40.00 and put one piece under my heaviest furniture for about 5 days. It left a dent in the vinyl that still has not come out after about 3 days and that was with carpet and padding as backing. This probably won't be a problem for me as I do not move my furniture around much. Furniture leaves dents in carpet too. You may see it when moving chairs around the dining table also. Probably the more fluffy underlay backing you pair it with, the deeper the dents. The 1 box of planks I bought are Traffic Master Dimensions-Allure Oak. Again, I am still on board and hoping for a good report. Several of the Home Depot folk said they were going to use it in their homes. But so far, no one has. Like you, I am !rooting! for this product because of price. Much of both materials and labor is high and if I could do the work myself, that would be great!

Also, another cost caveat. My niece mentioned she does not like her laminate floors all through out her home as she is sweeping and cleaning floors constantly versus vacumning once or twice a week. My neighbor says the same thing, that she feel every grain of sand on hard floors. Both say they would go back to carpet if possible because it is so forgiving. I don't want to have to clean floors constantly either and won't have a ungodly cost in this floor if it doesn't work out. Just a thought.

Old 08-12-07, 05:54 AM
Ok, if you are intent on using this product, lets do some testing on it before you invest in a whole houseful of the stuff. First, take 3 or 4 pieces and stick them together to see how easy they are to install. Can you unstick them and reapply if you put it together crooked? How easy is it to get a straight line or were you off just a hair? Does the glue grab really well or is it just tacky? Second, Throw some dirt and sand on it, spill some milk or hot coffee on it. See how well it cleans up. I have heard that the glue inbetween "peel n stick" oozes a little over time and dirt gets stuck in the cracks and you can't get it out. Does hot coffee soften the glue and make it release? Does the coffee seep through to the otherside past the glue seams? Third, get your hair dryer out and blow some warm air across it (do it until the tile feels somewhat hot to the touch). When the tile is hot, see if the adhesive gets mushy, can you slide the tile around at the seams when hot. This will mimic what you can expect around heat registers and radiators or near an open window with the sun beating down on it.

Give it a good workout, more so than seeing if furniture leaves a dent. HDepot website says it has a 25yr residential warrantee, but doesn't give any detail on what that covers. The stuff I like to use, has as 25yr COMMERCIAL warrantee. Aside from that difference, my product preference is about twice as thick as yours and it is 100% glued down to the subfloor vs tacked on the edges.

Keep us posted

Old 08-12-07, 10:51 AM
Rae
Czizzi, I don't question your information but how do you know so much about this product? It is brand knew and has not been out that long. Have you actually placed this product? How many times? Where did you place it? Which rooms? The store manager did say, "You got one try when you stick them together". That they can not be pulled apart again. I do worry about the small gap between each piece if they do not hit just right. It will fill up with dirt and gunk. Also, I am not sure how the look will transition around my fireplace. The cuts have to be perfect to meet up with last cut plank. This will be hard to match. I am going to try all the suggestions above and give this box a run for it's money. (Who the heck has time to do this-Ugh!) Our(box stores) installer cost here is $6.50 sq ft.(lowest), more than the product. Installer costs out of private stand alone stores are even more. I thought competition was suppose to make things more affordable? I think all the floor guy owner people get together, collectively, in a backroom and set their price, smoke a cigar and then point and laugh at us. Even, if a few boxes are lost to bad cuts, it may still be less expensive than the labor. Thanks for your info. Still pondering.

Last edited by Rae; 08-12-07 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added word. Puncuation
Old 08-12-07, 11:07 AM
Rae
How come I can't see Smokey 2 pics? Shouldn't they just be there automatically on his post, hosted by Photobucket? Do I need to have Photobucket up to view these? Just the url shows and not the pictures.

Old 08-12-07, 12:30 PM
Rae
Monsterdaddy, our 1st man in (floor)space

I guess there is no way to post pictures here? I took several pictures with my digital and would like to post them for others.

I took 2 pieces of the vinyl planks to the garage work table and stagger pieced them together. They did not hit right together as hoped. But I COULD pull them apart with some effort! This is a plus! I tried several more times and pulled them apart as needed. I was able to massage them right abut to one another. The more I massaged(a couple pushes), the small crack lessened. Unless, I get right on top of it, I can't see a crack. More Plus! I am going to put a hair dryer to it soon. Monsterdaddy, are you still liking your floor? It has been a whole 3 days since you posted. haha! What rooms did you put the vinyl planks in? Did you have any objects to go around or form to? Keep us posted as you are the only one I know of so far. I am going back to look at Home Depot office tommorrow afternoon. Czizzi, thank you for all your good information. Unless, you get some earth-shattering leads on this product, we can probably figure the good and bad on this ourselves. I do hope we can come to you again when we need more on floors. Thanks you!

Old 08-12-07, 04:09 PM
Rae - you said

"The store manager did say, "You got one try when you stick them together". That they can not be pulled apart again."

and then you said

"But I COULD pull them apart with some effort! This is a plus! I tried several more times and pulled them apart as needed."

This tells me a lot about the "wonder glue" on this product, as I expected. It doesn't even perform right out of the box as advertised.....

Rae - You come hear looking for advice, I tried to give you my point of view. I have installed: sheet vinyl, VCT, luxury vinyl tile, carpet, laminate, hardwood, engineered hardwood, ceramic and porcelean tile. And yes, I have installed a peel and stick vinyl as a volunteer at my local community center. I have also seen what that floor looks like and how it has performed. Just because yours is long and thin as opposed to square dosen't change much in my eyes. At least the square ones attempt to 100% affix themselves to a subfloor of some kind.

I (as well as Smokey49) have also given you suggestions on superior products. When I think of tile adhesives, I think in terms of modified thinsets - a DIYer thinks of mastic. I think in terms of pressure sensative adhesives - a DIYer thinks of glue. The exterior caulk I buy costs me over $5 per 10 oz. tube, the ones you purchase are around $2. See a pattern...? I am a contractor, and I do this and many other Home Improvement items for a living. I would'nt be in business if I recommended to all my clients to use this or that flooring because it is the cheapest. And you wouldn't be here seeking advice (for free I might add) if you didn't want to get the opinions of those who have a little more experience with these sort of things. Instead you side with Mosterdaddy, a fellow DIYer, who has 1 install under his belt or a home depot manager who's job is to move inventory, not install flooring (as evidenced by the lack of stagger of planks on the floor in his office). All in the name of price.

I'm sorry that the going rate for labor in Alaska is $6.50 sqft, I would love to be able to charge that much, but we are a little more competitive here in the lower states.

In case anyone wonders, being a contractor, I do not buy my carpet from a box store, I do not buy my tile from a box store, I do not buy my vinyl from a box store and I certainly do not ask my flooring clients to shop at a box store.

Enjoy your new floor, I hope it gives you years of worthy service.

Old 08-12-07, 06:05 PM
Rae
Czizzi, I am not sold on these vinyl planks as yet and darn, I don't mean to hurt your feelings while we try to discuss this product out. If this is the floor from hell, I will find this out before I place it. Not to worry, I want as good a DO as anyone and won't accept less. I do have the time to chase this information out. I will get to the bottom of this product. But I may need some time as it is so new. Please know your info counts as much as all the other info.

Last edited by Rae; 08-12-07 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Adding last statement
Old 08-13-07, 08:48 AM
M
I installed the Oak version in my hallway and bathroom. It looks nice with the continuity into the bathroom. Even ripped up the old vinyl in the bathroom and removed the toilet for a better looking install.

I didn't have much problem with seam cracks putting it together. It is probably easier when you have it on the floor and can apply a little pressure against the plank already installed on the floor.

I used a strong thick scissor to trim pieces that didn't fit.

Feels fine and looks OK. At some angles you might seem the seams. In a few places the seams have widened but not too noticeably. Those are the smaller pieces against walls/corners.

Old 08-15-07, 06:50 PM
B
WOW! Haven't had a chance to get back to this site since I posted the original thread. Didn't Expect such a responce. Been doing a little rdsearch and have some info you may find interesting. Thanks Rae for the heads up on the responce. Definatly going to install in the kitchen when I have a week end of peace and quite! Check out these sites. Some have pics.

http://la.apartmenttherapy.com/la/hard-flooring/trafficmaster-allure-vinyl-flooring-019078

http://forums.houseandhome.com/showthread.php?t=18503&f=10&page=8&pp=15

Or search Traffic Master Allure. Even a short news clip out there.

Baggybaggins

Old 08-18-07, 05:53 PM
Rae
The fix is in...

Thank you Baggy for the two sites. After reading about the Allure on the Home and House websites, it coorelates with what I saw with the test floor at the Home Depot office.

I was back to the Home Depot office this week where they laid these Allure Vinyl Planks. The first time I saw it as above, it had lots of dirt and gravel on the floor with several people in this office. This may be where the truck drivers and loaders do their paperwork??? This past week, no one in this room and the desk was positioned differently and I could see all 3 color choices very well this time. Although the floor was clean(vacumned), it had tons of visible scratches and gouges. The dark color at the door was most noticeable with scratches and the lighter colors, the scratches not as promenient. The floor had no underlay. Also, I noticed a small separation of two seems where a foot may launch the body's enertia to turn the corner out of the office. Using HD sales associate info and counting back I think this test floor has been down about 3 months. ??

Although I won't have the whole community center nor a bunch of truck drivers(and everyone should consider the fact that their homes will never be this busy) thru my house at one time, I am not as keen after seeing our local test floor and reading up on Baggy's website post re scratches. I am still entertaining the idea of again going with sheet vinyl in my kitchen and hallway and am partial to an excellent commercial grade carpeting in my dining and living room. I already have the vacumn cleaner that can suck the crome off of a trailer hitch(required).

I would like to check out what a good sheet vinyl would be to cover all of this same amount. This maybe the chance for hard floors without lifting and separating. Czizzi may still have a job...Chop, Chop.

Old 08-19-07, 11:56 AM
Rae - Thanks for taking the time to investigate the product instead of simply buying based on price. In the end, you will be happier with your finished results.

Old 02-10-08, 12:29 PM
Rae
Vinyl Planks (TrafficMaster Allure)

Hello again everyone, It has been about 6 months since this post. Still interested in anyone who have laid these vinyl planks. Monsterdaddy, are you still liking your vinyl planks in your bathroom? Are they holding up well? Baggybaggins may have placed them too? I will be ready for a new kitchen, pantry, dining room and entrance hall floor in about 2 weeks. My contractor will be here on 2/19/08. He will be opening up a pass through in my kitchen. I will post pictures before and after in my Photobucket account. Hope I get some responses. Yea! Rae

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: