Covering original basement tile with new tile

Old 08-23-07, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covering original basement tile with new tile

Has anyone had experience with covering original vinyl tile in a basement? The tiles are very old and I don't want to remove them. A big flooring manufacturer says that the only thing to use to cover vinyl tiles in below grade situations is felt back sheet flooring. I know that they stand on this for the warranty of their product. Is there at all a underlayment that can be used for the old tile and then cover with new vinyl? Putting tiles is a lot more DIY friendly than sheet flooring.

Thanks inadvance for any help.

Al

Old 08-24-07, 06:54 AM
S
"Putting tiles is a lot more DIY friendly than sheet flooring"

This used to be the case, but not any more. There are several manufacturers now making a fiberglass backed sheet vinyl that is very DIY friendly. It requires no glue, minimal floor prep, and is easy to install. Domco started it and now several companies make it. Theirs is called fiberfloor.

Old 08-27-07, 04:58 AM
Covering original basement tiles

Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
"Putting tiles is a lot more DIY friendly than sheet flooring"

This used to be the case, but not any more. There are several manufacturers now making a fiberglass backed sheet vinyl that is very DIY friendly. It requires no glue, minimal floor prep, and is easy to install. Domco started it and now several companies make it. Theirs is called fiberfloor.
Thanks for the reply. The DIY friendly part for me is having more to do with laying tiles rather than cutting paper templates, dealing with large rolls of product and such. In your opinion, are you saying that sheet flooring remains the only option?

Old 08-27-07, 09:37 PM
S
No, I don't think sheet goods are the only option. I"m just pointing out that it is a lot more DIY friendly than it used to be. You need to scribe cut the heavy commercial materials, but not this stuff. Get what ever prep you may need to do done, lay the stuff in, square it up, rough cut it in, final trim it, put the base back in, move the "stuff" back in, and take a break. Even seams are easier with this stuff. The main problem with trying to go over the existing vinyl tiles is, you're depending on their bond to the floor under them to support the new install. If it isn't well adhered, the new floor will come apart right along with the old one. I wouldn't suggest felt back vinyl in your instance because the pattern of regular seams in the old floor will telegraph through the new material. I'm sure they'll tell you they can float out the problem, but I have yet to see that actually work. The old tiles normally show through. But, that would not be the case if you used the no-glue kind.

Old 09-06-07, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Smokey49 View Post
No, I don't think sheet goods are the only option. I"m just pointing out that it is a lot more DIY friendly than it used to be. You need to scribe cut the heavy commercial materials, but not this stuff. Get what ever prep you may need to do done, lay the stuff in, square it up, rough cut it in, final trim it, put the base back in, move the "stuff" back in, and take a break. Even seams are easier with this stuff. The main problem with trying to go over the existing vinyl tiles is, you're depending on their bond to the floor under them to support the new install. If it isn't well adhered, the new floor will come apart right along with the old one. I wouldn't suggest felt back vinyl in your instance because the pattern of regular seams in the old floor will telegraph through the new material. I'm sure they'll tell you they can float out the problem, but I have yet to see that actually work. The old tiles normally show through. But, that would not be the case if you used the no-glue kind.
Thanks for that.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned was the moisture considerations for using vinyl over vinyl. That seemed to be the biggest reason for the flooring manuf to stay away from that solution. My idea lame as it may be to a floor expert was to encapsulate the entire surface with a poured underlayment and then lay vinyl tile over adhesive. Any thoughts on using that approach?

Old 09-06-07, 07:43 PM
S
I've never tried, or for that matter, considered such a solution. Consequently, I'd only be guessing at this point and I don't think that would help you much. Have you checked out any manufacturer sites for materials, such as Level Quick, to see what they have to say? What about encapsulating the existing floor with a wood underlayment? By the way, do you have moisture issues now? If so, a poured underlayment won't solve that. It will eventually wick through. A waterproofing membrane, however, might solve it. Redgard is normally used in tile installations, but I would think it would work in this instance also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: