installing new linoleum over the old linoleum

Old 08-25-07, 12:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile installing new linoleum over the old linoleum

hello,
i just like to seek an advise on how to install new linoleum with taking off the old one. i like to know whats the procedure and the materials to use..
thank you

Old 08-25-07, 09:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I understand what you're asking, you want to install a new layer of vinyl over an existing layer. I'm going to answer this as if that is the plan and, if I've missed it, give it another try.

Unless your place is very old, it's doubtfull that you have linoleum. It is probably vinyl and what you're installing, unless you've actually sought out a linoleum supplier, is also most likely vinyl. They are two different animals and require different installation methods.

Assuming you're installing sheet vinyl over sheet vinyl, the first concern is how well adhered the existing vinyl is, provided you're using felt backed, full spread glued vinyl. The existing vinyl needs to be well adhered to the floor it's installed to. When the glue from the second layer dries, it shrinks. As it shrinks, it will exert certain pressures on the old vinyl and, if it is not well adhered, will actually pull it up off the floor, resulting in bubbles in your new floor. The second thing to be concerned with is the condition of the existing vinyl. Any damage, peaked seams, or loose edges must be cut out and patched. I like to use Ardex Feather Finish for this stage of the job. The third thing to be concerned with is the pattern in the existing vinyl. As the glue dries, it will pull the new vinyl into any little imperfections in the existing floor and telegraph them up through the new layer, rendering them visible. If the existing pattern is not leveled, it will show through the new layer. This leveling is accomplished with a product called "embossing leveler". If you intend to tackle such a project, more detailed instruction can be provided. You can, however, avoid a lot of this by using one of the no-glue vinyls on the market now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: