Removing Stubborn Vinyl tile .Plz help

Old 08-27-07, 05:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Stubborn Vinyl tile .Plz help

I am in process of removing two layers of vinyl tile from a concrete floor and I am having trouble removing the bottom layer as the plastic lining with the design peels off and leaves the blank vinyl layer in tact. Under the blank layer is a thick grey material(this is part of the tile) that reminds me of the foil tape that a/c techs use , you know the one with the putty like substance.I've tried scraping the tile off and the grey backing is putting up a good fight. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jbizzy; 08-27-07 at 05:32 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 08-27-07, 09:22 PM
S
Heat helps a lot with this process. I use a weed burner which fills the room with smoke, but softens the material enough to scrape it up with a floor scraper. No fun any way you do it, but this may help.

Old 08-28-07, 04:55 AM
J
Thanks Smokey but, what is a weed burner?
Does a heat gun work the same?

Old 08-28-07, 07:30 AM
S
A heat gun will work, but much more slowly because you can't heat as much area as quickly as you can with a weed burner. A weed burner is a device that is fueled by a propane bottle. It throws a flame similar to a propane torpedo heater, just not as intense, and is designed to burn weeds along fence lines, in ditches, and so on. You might be able to get one at a rental place. Then again, a heat gun will work.

Old 08-28-07, 04:00 PM
J
Thanks again . I will try and track one down, if not I'll try the heat gun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: