basement flooring options over mastic

Old 09-04-07, 10:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement flooring options over mastic

Hello,

I have removed carpeting in my basement, and stuck to that was the old 9x9 tiles. I had that all removed from my concrete basement floor and woodend steps going down into basement. Now I am left with the black mastic adhesive. I had it tested for asbestos, and it came back fine. However the cost to have it remove is very expensive $1500 - $2500. And some of those quotes didn't include the stairs. Some suggested I have stairs replaced. I want to be able to put new flooring over the old mastic. What types of flooring would go over that. Could I put a subfloor over the mastic stairs and concrete. What would be affordable options.

Thanks

Janetr

Old 09-04-07, 08:12 PM
S
I'd suggest going with a laminate or engineered wood. You can put the pad and moisture barrier over the old cut back and float the new floor over it.

Old 09-05-07, 12:14 AM
H
Thumbs up i know where yor coming from.

Originally Posted by Janetr View Post
Hello,

I have removed carpeting in my basement, and stuck to that was the old 9x9 tiles. I had that all removed from my concrete basement floor and woodend steps going down into basement. Now I am left with the black mastic adhesive. I had it tested for asbestos, and it came back fine. However the cost to have it remove is very expensive $1500 - $2500. And some of those quotes didn't include the stairs. Some suggested I have stairs replaced. I want to be able to put new flooring over the old mastic. What types of flooring would go over that. Could I put a subfloor over the mastic stairs and concrete. What would be affordable options.

Thanks

Janetr
I used JASCO paint and epoxy remover and wiped it out with a squeegee (the kind you find at the gas station to clean yor windows)it comes off like hot butter! Depending on the size of the room you might need more than one squeegee my room was a 6x9 room and all i used is one.After that I mopped up the remnance with mineral oil and some rags.Sometime this week i'll go over it with laquer thinner and some more rags to try and lose the water resistant film.Ive heard a lot of comments on not to do this if you plan to put ceramic tile because of the thinset will not bond to concrete.This is purely experimental don't take my advice!I don't think you'd have a problem with pergo or other wood flooring.I'd rather try my own solution rather than pay someone else to probably do the same thing and i tried scraping it and that doesn't work on 25 to 30 year old mastic! i'll let you know how it goes.wish me luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: