finishing new vct tile

Old 09-09-07, 05:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finishing new vct tile

I just completed installing new vct tile in my kitchen in a black & white checkerboard pattern. I waxed with 2 coats of manufacturer's recommended wax, however the finish is uneven and seems to spot, even from water. Should I have used some kind of sealer first? Do I need to use a buffer & steel wool first, then wax? I'm looking for a solution that won't be a constant maintenance problem. Is there some kind of finish that I can put on that will be low maintenance. Should I strip the floor and start over again? I'm planning on rewaxing with a lower sheen wax. will this help?

Old 09-18-07, 08:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just noticed this question and, although I would imagine you've already dealt with it by now, I'll answer it, just in case. Maintenance is one of the drawbacks to VCT. Upon installation, it must be sealed and then given three coats of a good grade wax and then it must be kept up. The regularity of the needed maintenance will depend upon the amount of traffic and abuse it gets. There may be a lower maintenance sealer and wax out there, but I am unaware of it if there is. My suggestion would be to strip the floor and start over with the sealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: