First time installing vinil and it's in a bathroom

Old 09-09-07, 10:45 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time installing vinil and it's in a bathroom

Hello,
I would really appreciate if some one will help me on some basic questions i have before I start installing.
Here is what I have. We are removing the carpet on the first floor. I installed laminated floor everywhere but the bathroom. We decided to have self-adhesive tiles in it. The area is 42"x62" with the toilet in it. I just removed the carpet and found that the base was patched so it has some new plywood around the tiolet. Because of this there are some steps (sorry... don't know correct word) between newly added plywood and the surrounding area. I hope you're still with me... And the base plywood is not perfectly horizontal.
I don't want to remove the toilet though...
- Do I need to remove those steps? Can I just *sand* it off?
- Do I need to make the foor horizontally flat?
- For those first two questions do can I use an underlayment? What kind? or any other product?
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-07, 11:10 AM
M
I'm not a pro so I won't address possible solutions. But I will say you really do need to remove the toilet. It's not that difficult and will make the finished floor look a lot better.

Old 09-12-07, 08:58 AM
S
The above is correct, you do need to remove the toilet. Un-do it and set it in the tub or shower until you're finished. Why are you using peel N' sticks? Too many seams in a water area for my liking. Why not use one of the no glue vinyls on the market? They're very DIY friendly, require less floor prep, and you should have no seams when you're done. You can feather out the edge of the joint between old and new plywood with Ardex Feather Finish or cover the whole floor with an underlayment. Either will work. The floor should be flat, but it doesn't necessarily have to be level. I'm assuming, by "horizontally flat", you are referring to level. Yes, you can sand that joint also, but it's unlikely you'll be able to get it smooth enough that way. The Ardex will finish it off.

Old 09-13-07, 05:22 AM
A
Smokey,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I was trying to tell that the floor is not leveled.
The bathroom is on the first floor, we have only a toilet in it. I don't expect a lot of water on the floor. I don't want to remove the toilet because from what I read it is usually (50%) a toilet replacement. I cannot afford it now. Another reason I need to cut the vinil around some pipes, that's my first experience with vinil and I wanted to take the easiest road possible.
Thanks again, it falls on place now.

Old 09-13-07, 05:18 PM
S
Well, if you're dead set on those peel N' sticks, use a heat gun to get the parts you need to cut warmed up. It cuts easily that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: