Re-sticking self sticking vinyl tiles

Old 09-16-07, 08:57 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Re-sticking self sticking vinyl tiles

what can I use to resitck vinyl tiles on my basement floor that have come unglued? Many of the tiles are off due to water (from a leaky washing machine) that got under the tiles.

Old 09-18-07, 04:33 PM
S
Are they the old asbestos tiles, actual vinyl composite tiles (VCT), or the vinyl peel N' sticks? I suppose you could just use VCT glue to re-attach any of them. Make sure the moisture problem is remedied first, then thoroughly clean the surface to be glued to. Apply the VCT glue with a paint roller, a paint brush, or a sixteenth by sixteenth notched trowel. Allow the glue to dry until it turns clear, then apply the tiles. Make sure you have them exactly where you want them when you set them in the glue because it grabs tightly, and right now. There is no adjusting and getting them back out of the glue destroys them. Make sure the edge of all surrounding tiles is free of any thing that will keep the tile being installed from sitting level with the surrounding tiles, to include excess glue.

Old 09-18-07, 06:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Did the tiles change shape/warp any because of the water? If so, I wouldn't reuse them.

Old 09-18-07, 07:55 PM
S
If you heat them with a heat gun, they will become quite pliable and lay right down. Heat them on a very flat surface, allow them to cool and stiffen back up, then check for square.

Old 09-18-07, 08:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
In that case, they could be reused. Thanks for the tip, Smokey.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: