peel and stick tile

Old 09-21-07, 07:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
peel and stick tile

Hi all I need some info I'm fixing to lay the stick and peel tile in my bathroom, there was carpeting what all do I have to do to get the floor ready besides sweeping and mopping the heck out of it
thanks Donna

Old 09-21-07, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Welcome to the forums Donna

It would be best to install a 1/4" underlayment over the sub floor and install the tiles over it. Short of that you would need to take a floor patching compound [durabond also works] and fill all the cracks. You would also need to sink any nails heads and fill them also.

Old 09-21-07, 10:40 AM
T
laying peal and stick

thank you very much, will a kilz2 sealer also work?

Old 09-21-07, 11:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Kilz II is a poor quality latex primer and shouldn't be needed for tile installation. You need a filler to fill and make all gaps or indentations level. Otherwise these imperfections will show thru the tile and the tile is apt to wear thru or break in those areas.

Old 09-21-07, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Last peel & stick job I did (kitchen, over lino) the store guy recommended Armstrong Latex Primer which seemed to have helped with the adhesion.

Old 09-21-07, 06:48 PM
S
That is a primer made for flooring. Kilz is not and should not be used in this instance. The only reason to use Kilz is if you have an odor problem, in which case you should mop with bleach to kill anything growing, paint with Kilz to seal in the odor, and then apply a quarter inch underlayment because you don't want to install the new tiles to Kilz. If you were using real VCT, I'd say you can get away without an underlayment, provided you are not sealing the floor with Kilz. Since you are using peel and sticks, I'd really suggest an approved underlayment. Those are nothing more than glorified sheet vinyl in consistency and any imperfections in the floor will telegraph through them, and, as mentioned before, will break them over time. Make sure you remove any pad staples and tack strip nails during the tear up phase. If you want to try it, the existing floor can be leveled with a good floor patch, such as Ardex Feather Finish or Mapei Planipatch and possibly avoid the underlayment, but I wouldn't suggest it. Also, you'll need to remove the toilet and all base board, install the floor, and then re-install the toilet and base boards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: