How many layers of Vinyl Flooring ?

Old 11-19-07, 03:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many layers of Vinyl Flooring ?

Hi Guys,

I have a question about vinyl flooring.

How many layers of vinyl tiles are allowed?

There are currently 2 layers on the kitchen floor and I plan to redo the floor. Do I need to pull up the floor or can I add one more layer of vinyl tiles? They are in pretty good shape and the most recent layer is only about 2 years old.

Thanks,

Mo

Old 11-19-07, 05:29 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd rip up the old floor.

Old 11-21-07, 06:55 AM
S
I would also suggest taking out the old floor, but, should you decide against it, make sure there is no wax or other contaminants on the existing floor before applying the new and make sure you install the new so they overlap the joints to the existing. That should help cause the existing to behave longer.

Old 11-21-07, 07:56 AM
M
Allowed or advisable? Allowed by whom?

Although your existing two layers of flooring may be in good shape now, in the event that the adhesive fails on either one, the top layer will be affected as well.

My advice is never to layer.

A quick story, I had a customer insist on laminating over an existing formica countertop. My advice against the procedure not withstanding, their tihought process was that the existing laminate was in good shape and that covering it over would ultimate be cheaper. To make a long story short, within 5 days of completion, as the new contact glue began to cure, the old laminate began to pull up, completely ruining the "new" job.

The reality was they "saved" about a dollar a square foot of material by not have new tops fabricated at our shop. They were unhappy about the glue smell and the mess during installation, and took longer to do the job. They got really unhappy, when they had to do the job yet again.

For what they ultimately spent, I could have given them Corian or Granite.

Old 12-13-07, 11:28 AM
A
Accepting the fact that I should pull up the current 2 layers of vinyl, what do I have to do to prep the plywood underlayment, which has a layer of adhesive (some type of black stuff) which dates back to the original flooring installation(about 60 years probably).

Thanks,

Mo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: