Flooring Options

Old 12-23-07, 04:16 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flooring Options

I need to install a new floor from front door through a 15' hallway into a kitchen. Floor joists run from front door down hallway into kitchen. I wanted to install some kind of "wood" planking (veneer over plywood back) but the planks would need to run parallel to floor joists. I've done some reading and think I've read where this install can lead to problems due to bellying of floor between joists leading to the plank joints opening up due to flexing. If possible, would (and how thick) plywood underlayment solve this issue?
I've run a string line across the kitchen flooring and don't see much of a bellying effect (perhaps 3/16") between joists. Also, would sistering 2x8's to existing floor joists solve issue of movement?
Thanks for the help.
bob

Old 01-12-08, 02:19 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It is strongly recommended that flooring be installed perpendicular to the joists. In hallway applications, hardwood flooring should be installed parallel to the long walls to obtain the preferred visual effect and to avoid the ladder effect. Compensation is made by reducing the spacing of nails from 8-10 to 6 inches.

Old 01-14-08, 04:57 PM
B
Thanks for the reply (finally someone responded!)!
If I go with engineered planking, some can be either glued or stapled down; any preference for my situation where the long hallway begs for strips run parallel to floor joists?

Old 01-15-08, 06:10 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If planks are wide, why not both glue and staple? Might give you greater peace of mind.

Old 02-04-08, 07:13 AM
W
Received 4 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Laminate is a good option. Laminate is floated, and it doesn't matter what direction it is laid (relative to the joists). This would give you the benefits of the hardwood without the directional requirements.

Old 02-04-08, 03:00 PM
B
Whitenack,
I haven't been totally impressed with the look of the laminates. I think they look artificial; perhaps I haven't looked at the right brands. I appreciate the suggestion.
Bob

Old 02-04-08, 03:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Look at engineered flooring. It floats (not glued or nailed) and the top finished viewed surface is actually real wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: