restaurant kitchen floor repair

Old 01-06-08, 07:30 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
restaurant kitchen floor repair

In the hotel where I work as a maintenance person we have a restaurant kitchen where the floor is badly in need of repair in one area. Attached are a few photos of the spot. The floor area is in between two walk-in cooler doors (outside the coolers), thus the drain pipe from the up in fridge coil drip pans which drains the water from them during their regular cycling down into the floor drain. The reddish colored flooring itself is a kind of old heavy duty linoleum or whatever. I measured the thickness of this lineolum or vinyl or whatever it is, it is just a hair thicker than 1/8". Under the linoleum is a concrete floor. We were thinking we could probably cut out a square section of the linoleum around the bad area, scrape it off and clean the concrete as good as possible, and then reform the floor with the sloping toward the drain using a concrete patch material, then try to patch the linoleum if we could ever figure out exactly what it is or where to get it. Any comments/advice appreciated. I do realize the floor area shown here is a scummy mess.

Old 01-12-08, 01:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I am surprised that the restaurant has not been cited with health code violations. The drains for the refrigerators need to be tied into a drain that ties into the floor drain. This would require cutting the concrete to do the required plumbing. Then, the floor can be patched and prepped for new floor covering or old floor covering removed. If floor covering was installed before 1983, the covering could be linoleum. Old floor coverings and adhesives contained asbestos. Encapsulating the floor covering by covering over is recommended.

Old 01-12-08, 06:00 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by twelvepole
I am surprised that the restaurant has not been cited with health code violations. The drains for the refrigerators need to be tied into a drain that ties into the floor drain. This would require cutting the concrete to do the required plumbing. Then, the floor can be patched and prepped for new floor covering or old floor covering removed. If floor covering was installed before 1983, the covering could be linoleum. Old floor coverings and adhesives contained asbestos. Encapsulating the floor covering by covering over is recommended.
Thanks for that info twelvepole. We'll go ahead and figure in the required plumbing as part of the repair job and get it done up correctly. If its a health code violation I'm surprised the restaurant hasn't been cited too, but the refrigerator drainage has been that way for years.

Old 01-13-08, 06:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I once knew a couple guys who owned a small restaurant/bar. I happened to be there one day when the health inspector came. After the inspector left, I asked how did it go? They got cited for missing and cracked tiles in the kitchen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: