Vinyl Tile on painted concrete?

Old 03-12-08, 01:42 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vinyl Tile on painted concrete?

Hi
I'm installing vinyl tile on my basement concrete floor (the non-PEEL'N'STICK variety), but it's painted. I would like to know if I can install tile directly over the paint or do I have to strip it off. According to the manufacturer (Armstrong), I shouldn't use tile that requires adhesive over painted concrete, only their self-stick tile can go over painted floorsLink . Is it the way the glue can react with the paint? What can I do to prep the floor that permits me to do so? Also if I choose to use a floor leveler, can that be applied directly on the paint? The basement is very dry and moisture has never been an issue. Thanks.

Old 03-14-08, 01:40 PM
F
Originally Posted by AlxMAD View Post
Hi
I'm installing vinyl tile on my basement concrete floor (the non-PEEL'N'STICK variety), but it's painted. I would like to know if I can install tile directly over the paint or do I have to strip it off. According to the manufacturer (Armstrong), I shouldn't use tile that requires adhesive over painted concrete, only their self-stick tile can go over painted floorsLink . Is it the way the glue can react with the paint? What can I do to prep the floor that permits me to do so? Also if I choose to use a floor leveler, can that be applied directly on the paint? The basement is very dry and moisture has never been an issue. Thanks.
Try to scrape it up

if it wont scrape up, try to scarify it with a sander with heavyy grit sandpaper.

then scimcoat over it with patch or a sealer to encapsulate.

if the paint lets loose, so wil lyour flooring down the road.

Old 03-14-08, 02:10 PM
A
patch or a sealer to encapsulate?

What brand/Product would u recommend? Should I get something like Levelquik, Ardex Featherfinish? Or an Embossing Leveler since its paint? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-14-08, 11:15 PM
F
ardex SD-F is fine

Old 03-18-08, 03:56 AM
A
Ardex=Henry

Would Henry Feather Finish be a good substitue for Ardex? Aren't they partnered up or the same company? Link. The reason I ask this is, my local Home Center only carries Henry Feather Finish. Thanks a lot for all the help floorman

Old 03-18-08, 08:21 PM
F
yes that's fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: