can you stain or paint old lino/vinyl?

Old 05-19-08, 12:38 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can you stain or paint old lino/vinyl?

We have ugly flooring (lino or vinyl? I don't know how to tell the difference, but it looks like it's 10-15 years old) and I wondered if I could paint or stain it to change the color. It is an ugly light grey with some ground in dirt and a very dull surface. It seems porous enough to take either paint or stain. If it can be done fairly easily, I would def. like to try it, as long as it won't be worse than before...

Any ideas or tips how to go about it?
Thanks for any input!

Old 05-19-08, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It would be better to save your money towards replacing the floor covering. Paint won't adhere or wear well.

Old 05-19-08, 03:25 AM
T
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/fc_vin...274954,00.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2084033_paint-vinyl-floor.html

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/fabulo...eovers/?page=2

Make sure paint and polyurethane are compatible. A water-based polyurethane is nonyellowing. Your local paint store should be able to advise you. Note that surface preparation is crucial to the success of the job. Too, this is not a long-term durable option. Clean with pH neutral cleaner to maintain.

Old 05-20-08, 01:33 PM
I
thank you! (and some more ideas/questions)

Thank you both for your suggestions and patience with my question! I think my search skills on this subject were sub-par, as I didn't find anything as helpful as the provided links. Thank you so much!

I have a few more ideas-- possibly very misguided... so please forgive my ignorance!

I don't need the floor to be stunning, just a bit better. It won't get a whole lot of wear, as this project is only for an apt near the beach that we are renting as a vacation rental to people. I just wanted to spruce those floors up a bit. They look especially ugly now juxtaposed with the new carpet and new paint! We've spent enough on the fix up at this point, so I wanted something cheap and quick, since I would have to do it on the few days in between people's visits. We need to keep it rented out pretty continuously for financial reasons.

I know this might sound appalling, but while researching this idea further, I came across various sites that mention spray-can paint for plastic and vinyl. There were various brands. Is this insane to consider? Again, time, money and energy is pretty limited. I was thinking I could possibly paint it in two colors, vaguely "swirly" or streaky like marble or travertine. That would also be more forgiving for wear or damage to the paint. (I hoped?)

Also, I did not find anything really on this topic, but since paint seems to have adhesion issues with vinyl, is there anything that might function as a penetrating stain? The surface is porous, and tsp or a deglosser would probably increase the permeability. If I could just stain it a dark grey or taupe, kinda like slate, I'd be delighted. Then, maybe I could also skip having to varnish it a lot. I wonder if the stain would rub off or just not absorb, or absorb unevenly.

As you can tell, I have zero experience with this, but a small amount of background in the visual arts, so I am trying to find a creative solution...

Thanks again for any info!

Old 05-20-08, 05:06 PM
T
The challenge of using vinyl spray paint is getting even coverage. Vinyl spray paint can drift. It's expensive. Will take two coats. Limited color selection. Smelly.

Using commercial stripper, sealer, and polish might give the old flooring a new lease on life. It would certainly be less expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: