Matching existing tile

Old 05-21-08, 09:09 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Matching existing tile

Does anyone know a source or method for matching existing vinyl tile. I had to tear out a section of my floor and need to match the remaining tile, which I laid about 8 years ago. I checked all of the big-box stores and they don't carry my pattern. I even have a partial box of the old tile, but it is from a retailer that no longer exists and there is no manufacturer listed on the box. These are 12-inch vinyl, self-adhesive tiles.

Old 05-22-08, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Almost impossible. You should try calling the manufacturer and ask who in your area sold these products...besides big box stores.

Old 05-22-08, 05:29 PM
T
Products are continually changing. Selections get added and dropped. Folks that have problems with damage from leaks or other issues are in need of spare tiles that match. Thus, it's wise to always buy a box or two extra to save the day, but that might not be enough. Once products have been dropped by a manufacturer, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Even if you could find the exact same product and style, it would be from a different manufacturing and 'dye lot.' Like in doing needlework projects, it's important to purchase fabrics, threads, yarns, etc. from the same dye lot for an exact match.

Old 05-22-08, 08:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Even if you had enough left over from the original installation, you couldn't match the wear or fading from being in place for eight years. We tried that a few years ago and went to installing ceramic instead.

Old 05-23-08, 04:01 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Find a complimentary tile that is currently avaliable. Remove old tiles from the middle of the floor and leave only a border of old tiles around the room. Inset the new tiles in the center of the room to creat a custom look. You can harvest enough old tile to fill any border areas that may be damaged or in need of replacement. The results will be a 2 toned custom inlay looking floor, which could be more dramatic than what you have had all along.

This will work best if the original floor was installed and centered relative to the entire room (same size tile on each side). If it is offset, with full tiles on one side, and partial tiles on the other, the inset may look off centered.

Old 05-27-08, 11:24 AM
W
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all of your advice. I do have a box left over from the original installation, but it will not be enough. I hadn't thought of the option of removing additional tiles to make the two-patterned effect seem intentional! Cool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: