New Peel n Stick Popping Up

Old 05-31-08, 12:39 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Peel n Stick Popping Up

I laid 1/4 sanded birch underlayment. I primed and let dry 20 hours. I installed peel n stick tile. I rolled it out. A week later the tile began to pop when I walk on it. Glue is probably defective. Can I simply pull up the tile and add some liquid glue to the underlayment and reinstall the tile, or do I have to remove the entire floor and sand up all the glue and start from scratch? Any other options available to me?

Old 05-31-08, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would get some vinyl adhesive and trowel it on. You can find this stuff in the flooring dept. of a big box store.

Old 05-31-08, 07:12 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
What you want is a pressure sevsitive adhesive. You trowel it on, let it sit and dry to a tack and then lay the tiles into it. Roll to smooth after the install. Pressure sensative floor glue is available through a flooring distributor. The big box store may carry it , but make sure it is compatable with the tile you have.

Old 05-31-08, 09:09 PM
S
Do I need to remove the old adhesive on the floor from the peel n stick tile or can I put this pressure sensitive adhesive right over it?

Old 06-01-08, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When I did my kitchen floor and bathroom floor, I just put a dab of liquid nail to each corner and on in the center of every tile and I haven't had one come up. Kitchen floor has been down 2 yrs and bathroom floor almost a yr. I did tear one up b/c of my dumba$$ dropping a knife!! Good Luck

Old 06-03-08, 01:30 AM
getting old adhesive off is always best...practical? prob not..i have seen most installers just trowel the new adhesive on and let tack up...there are also additives you can add before putting the adhesive down to seal subfloor and add to the retention of the adhesive

Old 06-05-08, 06:03 PM
Ya, deep in the instruction somewhere, they will say "Prime the substrate"

Clear spread VCT adhesive. let it tack up for a half hour(flat troweled, peel and stick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: