Best way to transition carpet to tile?

Old 08-18-08, 12:56 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Best way to transition carpet to tile?

I've been reading and reading and I just can't figure out the best way to transition from carpet to tile!! I'm pretty new to flooring issues so please talk down to me all you want!
I am installing self-stick vinyl tile in our entry way and this tile will meet with carpet in the hall/living room. The tile will be installed on concrete slab (no basement obviously!).
What is the easiest, most durable way to transition from the carpet to the tile??? I've read about z-bars, though I'm still not sure I understand how it's used. Also I know there are different kinds of carpet bars, gripper bars, t-bars and the like. I currently have a gripper bar in gold to match the entry door hardware, but can easly take it back to the store!
I'm not terribly concerned with the transition looking professional or perfect; I just want the easiest, cheapest, most long lasting way to do this to keep the carpet from fraying or the tile from having problems as well.
I know you have done lots of posts on this issue (because I think I've read most of them! ) but like I said I still can't figure out the BEST way for my situation.
Hopefully I've given all the necessary info you need to answer this question, but if not feel free to ask for more!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-08, 10:42 PM
the strip with the tack strips already in there should work ok...as long as you can stretch it tight enough to get it set in there and then tuck it under the lip...you may have issues getting them into the concrete...there are also glue down ones that use contact cement that the carpet can be tucked into

Old 08-20-08, 02:00 PM
W
Red face

Thanks for the reply I REALLY appreciate it! I was worried I would need a carpet stretcher to use the gripper bar properly! Since I had the luxury of cutting the carpet at the length I wanted I cut it so that it fits into the gripper bar all the way up to get the full benefits of the bar with little stretching. I don’t think the carpet is likely to pucker either…. I hope! FIO
Sorry to be such a pain but if there is a site discussing the pro's and con's of different forms of transitions (and I think there should be one !) I couldn't find it! If you know of one point me too it!!
Thanks again for your valuable time!!!! Especially for such an irritatingly repetitive question.. GI2