cleaning marks off vinyl floor with buffer/polisher machine

Old 09-14-08, 05:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cleaning marks off vinyl floor with buffer/polisher machine

I just bought a old scrubber/polisher Can some one tell me how and what to use?To clean the marks and polish the vinyl floor tiles.
I never used one of these.It has short and long bristle wheels and some different color pads.I would like to know what products to use with it to.

Old 09-15-08, 07:17 AM
J
Our kitchen has a linoleum floor w/ that finish that usually
stays shiny--I clean it w/ a swiffser mop w/ the liquid bottle.
I works great but dulls finish--I use the short bristles on the polisher & the floor shines like crazy.
Basement has vinyl tile--I use the long bristles on polisher w/
Spic & Span--follow w/ Mop & Glo--when it dries--use short
bristles to polish--looks great..............
Have fun.........................

Old 09-15-08, 10:26 AM
T
Thank you very much.I will try it.

Old 09-16-08, 12:51 AM
I would suggest against any mop and glow type products...all that is doing is building up finish...over time the floor will start looking dirty even with a shine. When its time to strip it off..it will take forever and it will almost be easier to replace the floor. If you want to learn how to run a swing machine, if that is what you have. Talk to your local janitoral supply store to see if a contractor would let you tag along on a job or give you tips. Best to see someone use one..vs replacing burned flooring or patching a hole in the wall.

Old 09-16-08, 09:57 AM
J
His machine is very light duty--no holes--no burns--
just shine................................
Spic & Span deletes Mop & Glo.....................

Old 09-16-08, 11:13 AM
T
I think it is a swing machine.It has a hole in the middle of the 16" pad.I don't know anybody that uses them.
Now I hear about these color pads .The color of the pad is for a different pourpose.Is there a site that tells you about these things?
I thought this was going to be easy.Put a brush pad .Dump some stuff on the floor.And clean it with the scrubber.

Old 09-16-08, 04:14 PM
J
I thought you had a light duty unit--its a lot hevier than I though--do you have a mfr. name & model # ? this the unit I though you had:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...9&gobutton.y=2

The one you have is not safe for kitchen---if you have tile in basement--you can practice your swing
Sorry about that...................

Last edited by j HOWARD; 09-16-08 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
A janatorial supply or janitorial company would still be your best bet.
I've used more of these things than I care to remember (24yrs Navy). I can't imagine using one on residential vinyl floors. If you have the thick VCT (is that right?) tiles then it works great. But plan on plenty of work. Strip, neutralize, fresh water clean, seal, wax, wax, spray polish buff. That was our old method. Sorry can't remember the color codes of the pads for each step.

Maybe for true linoleum as well, that I'm not sure of.

But let it get away and it will smash a kichen cabinet door or break through the side of a cabinet. Seen it happen!

Old 09-17-08, 06:42 AM
T
The floor are those thick tiles.Ijust bought this house.I don't think this floor has ever been scrubbed good.I thought I would take the easy way out.I got a old cheap machine.If I clean this floor once with it good and make it shinny.I would be happy.I probably will have to go to a janatorial supply place.They will probably try to sell me all kind of stuff.All I would like to know .Is what I need to strip it and polish it.And how.
I was reading the internet about the different color pads for different things.Do these pads just stick on the wheel with the bristles?That is the wheel you use to get the marks off the floor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: