vinyl floors

Old 05-13-00, 12:24 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm going to replace my kitchen/bathroom flooring. I'd like vinyl; should I get tiles or sheet and why?

My current floors have stains that appear to be coming from something underneath. A salesman said he would not pull up old stuff; he would just cover it with the new. I think the stains will bleed through the new stuff???

Old 05-13-00, 09:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Both vinyl tile and sheet goods have pluses and minuses. Sheet goods do not have hundreds of seams to collect dirt and grime, and they are less likely to delaminate except at seams and edges. Sheet goods are more difficult to install and to repair than installing or replacing single tile. The choice is yours.

If the stain has traveled through the sheeting and is now on top of the cap sheet I think you suspicions are correct, if the new sheeting is to be installed directly over the old without a new underlayment in between. If the staining is the result of moisture migration neither vinyl tile nor sheeting are acceptable choises in flooring.

Old 05-14-00, 03:41 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We re-did our kitchen floor about a year ago with sheet goods. A really nice floor with a pattern that looked like 1' square tiles.

It was difficult to lay the floor. I had to go under the stove and fridge and about 6" into the dining room. I had made a template to cut the floor and this made it much easier to get it to fit.

I dry fitted the floor first to make sure I had cut it properly and much to my amazement, I got it right the first time. Then came the gluing process. Boy, this was a treat. Now, I have a piece of vinyl that is about 6' wide and 12' long with lots of pieces sticking out. I applied the adhesive to the first 3' of the floor and proceeded to lay the floor into the area in front of the kitchen sink. I found out very quickly that the adhesive grabbed hold of the vinyl and made it VERY difficult to adjust exactly into the corners. However, with a lot of grunting and groaning and sticking my tongue out just right, I got it into place.

I then applied the adhesive to the rest of the floor and simply rolled the floor out and pressed in into place using a steel roller. I was very pleased with myself. Not only did the floor fit perfectly, but also, there was only a small amount of adhesive squeezed out at one end. I cleaned this up and sat down and had a beer to celebrate my first attempt at laying sheet goods.

However, a couple of days later, my wife mentioned that the floor was crooked. "What, that's impossible" I thought. However, when we stood back in the living room and looked at the kitchen floor, it was indeed off by about 1/2". Even though I'd cut the floor perfectly square along the lines in the pattern, the kitchen wasn't square.

Next time, I'll cover the floor with plywood,snap square chalk lines and use tiles so the floor comes out square.

Ted

------------------
Carpenter's rule:- Cut to fit - Beat into place :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: