Asbestos in Linoleum Floor

Old 10-16-00, 06:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've removed sections of linoleum in my kitchen floor in preparation for tiling. Now that I have read some of the postings in this forum, I have become concerned about asbestos in the backing. How can I tell if this linoleum has asbestos? The backing is light gray paper and I don't see any fibers in it.

Old 10-16-00, 03:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,

It's been more than 20 years since asbestos was outlawed in just about everything. That doesn't mean that someone couldn't have held out and used the material anyway, but I would say that if your house was built within the past 20 years, you're safe. The thing to do, though, is use a good quality respirator mask when you remove the remaing linoleum, no matter what's in the backing.

John

[This message has been edited by John Bridge (edited October 16, 2000).]

Old 10-23-00, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I assume I have asbestos backed linoleum tile in my basement since the house is almost 40 years old. When I moved in 10 years ago I carpeted over it assuming it was best just not to disturb it. I'm now ready to re-carpet the basement. Should I remove the tile at this time or is it okay to leave as is? If I do remove it, what is the best way to do that?

Old 10-24-00, 08:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Henryst:

"I assume I have asbestos backed linoleum tile in my basement since the house is almost 40 years old."

You may not be aware of the fact that the term "linoleum tile" has a very specific meaning in the flooring industry. It refers to the 9" square flooring tiles that were constructed with a separate vinyl wear layer and a paper backing material, much like the linoleums of the time were constructed. I don't know if you meant to use that term specifically, or you just meant "old vinyl tiles".

I know they used asbestos in some of the old linoleum backings, but I don't know if it was ever used in linoleum tiles. The backing on linoleum tiles is a tar paper, and is completely different from the white stuff that they used to use on linoleum, so I kinda doubt there would be any asbestos in it. Also, I've heard flooring installers holler about asbestos in linoleum, but I've never heard them holler about it in linoleum tiles.

Taking the tiles off completely IS hard work, and it's not at all necessary. If you do decide to take them off, you should find out where to buy flooring installation supplies in your town from any carpet place, and buy a Roberts wood molding lifter and a 4 inch flooring razor (the 20 inch long ones work about the best) and plenty of 4 inch blades to go with it.

The Roberts wood molding lifter is the best tool for prying the tiles off the floor. They WILL NOT come off in one piece unless the FLOORING GOD is smiling on you. Normally they break into pieces and you're left with a bunch of black paper stuck to the floor. You remove the black paper with the flooring razor by shaving it off. This is a skill you gradually learn from experience, so be prepared for some frustration getting the hang of it.

To be perfectly honest, I'd just leave the tiles there. The probably don't have any asbestos in them, but they are a lot of work to remove, and there really is no benefit in removing them if you just want to replace the carpet.

Also, be wary of installers proclaiming asbestos. Regardless of what kind of vinyl flooring material you have and how new or old it is, you can count on an installer to want to install the new flooring over top of it because of "asbestos" in the old flooring. You can be sure that the real reason is that it is simply easier for him to install the new flooring over the old than it is for him to remove the old flooring and prep what's underneath for the new flooring. Amongst installers "Asbestos!" is kind of a joke because they all use it as an excuse to convince the homeowner not to insist on removing the old flooring, and everyone knows that the real reason is that installing new flooring is easier than removing old flooring, so you can have an easier job and make better money if you rid yourself of the problem of removing the old flooring, and "Asbestos!" is the way to do that.

Old 10-25-00, 08:32 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you are installing ceramic tile, the vinyl should not be a concern. It should be covered by l/4" concrete board before the thinset and tile go down.

Old 10-31-00, 09:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Asbestos is a real problem. Yes installers don't want to have to take up the old flooring. Are you willing to pay to have it taken up? Most people want the cheapest way out.

If the old tiles are flat and in good condition cover them up again.

If you have not seen the lawsuits over the asbestos problem just take a look at Armstrong (ACK) stock price.

Old 10-31-00, 10:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Nestor,

Yes, it is very likely that old linoleum tiles contain asbestos, as well as the black or brown adhesive used to glue it down. The rule of thumb is, if the vinyl or linoleum type floor is older than 15 years and you do not know what it consists of, assume it does contain asbestos.

Many installers caution against removal because of 2 things -- asbestosis and law suits. They both happen and are very real dangers to the professional installer. Although it may be less of a hazard for "contained" products, such as VCT, VAT, linoleum and adhesives, there are still EPA and OSHA rules and regulations that pros must follow or reap serious repercussions. It's the law. Please read up on it before advising that it be removed haphazardly and at the same time denegrating a pro for following the rules of our chosen profession.

I'm not looking for an easy way out, I'm looking to make a profit and give the customer a long lasting, beautiful job. There's darn good money in flooring removal too. Why would I want to deprive myself of additional income if it was warranted?

For the real lowdown on removing old resilient flooring, contact the Resilient Floor Covering Institute at (301) 340-8580 or contact your local EPA or OSHA office -- they all have free pamphlets.

Jim
JMFloors

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: