Paucity of vinyl flooring patterns

Old 01-13-09, 02:11 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paucity of vinyl flooring patterns

Time to replace our bathroom vinyl sheet flooring after 20 years.

Bah! to Armstrong and Mannington (and the others we could find on the web). Our old pattern is/was clay-brown, 3inch-ish, flat, oval-ish rocks with sizeable, irregular grout. We found exactly one style (Armstrong 92210) that didn't remind us of Tile, Wood, or Linoleum (crush rock, like in my old highschool cafeteria). What happened to non-rectilinear patterns?

We found the "Imagination Collection" at ovation flooring, but those were just... a... bit... busy for a small bathroom.

Can anybody point us to vinyl with patterns not full of straight lines?

Old 01-13-09, 02:56 PM
T
The old pebble and rock vinyl styles fell by the wayside. Vinyl that looks like ceramic tile and natural stone is in high demand by folks who like the look but can't afford or don't like the lack of resilience of hard surface floors.

Congoleum's Bravada Collection's 'Collage' pattern looks like it has no lines. Their Flor-Ever Plus Collection's 'Metropolis' and 'Uptown' also look like no line. Bravada and Flor-Ever Plus are rated 4 out of 5 stars.

If there is a Congoleum dealer in your area, check them out.

Old 01-13-09, 05:42 PM
G
@twelvepole

Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe people in other countries have different tastes?

Congoleum's Bravada Collection's 'Collage' pattern looks like it has no lines
This is the "crushed rock" look. Reminds me of linoleum of the 1950's. I don't want it.

Flor-Ever Plus...
Sorry, that's -- crushed rock.

Heavens.. Maybe I should go look at indoor-outdoor carpet! Maybe that will have a selection of patterns.

Old 01-13-09, 07:29 PM
T
Stainmaster has an all over pebble pattern. STAINMASTER resilient flooring: Style 3030

Old 01-13-09, 08:17 PM
G
@twelvepole

Now your talkin' (so to speak.. er, write).

How did you find this? I spent quite a few hours and many, many keyword combinations. I am surprised that "resilient" actually can do this.

I should have suspected, I guess. Since *all* the companies were/are on the tile/wood jag, that resilient *could* do it, just as I know that vinyl *could* do it.

By the way, indoor-outdoor carpet had nothing for me (that I could find... --you don't have to investigate--)

Honestly, I told my wife that we should just keep the undamaged part of the current covering even though that would have meant a seam and a jolt in styles when a "rest roomer" came around the corner. YOU may have just saved the day.

So, what's your favorite charity? I'll send them something in your name.

Old 01-14-09, 07:14 AM
T
Don't get too excited yet. You are going to have to find a dealer that can order the vinyl flooring for you. Call before getting in the car and wasting gas. Here's a link of retailers in your area. Make sure you have the collection and style info in hand when you make the call.

Dealer Locator - STAINMASTER® Carpet

Old 01-15-09, 07:16 PM
G
@twelvepole

I have S3031 & S3032 samples in my hands.

Hee, hee. It was like being in a b-western movie. I caught a cold and it got to me Monday afternoon. It was worst Tuesday night through Wed. morning, and I improved enough to go to work Thursday morning. Now its Thursday evening and though I sound horrible I'm in good spirits.

After your demonstration of S3030 on the web, I must have phoned 5 places, and went to 1 of them (unsuccessfully) just to attempt to order samples. 1 place was out of business, an 3 of them insisted they only deal with StainMaster carpets. I even phoned StainMaster directly trying to find someone who would admit to carrying their resilient flooring.

One guy insisted he'd been in the business 20 years and didn't know StainMaster had any vinyl flooring... despite being #1 on the list StainMaster gave me.

Finally, from work I called Butler Flooring (didn't open until 10), #2 on StainMaster's list. I was transferred to a salewoman who took my S3030 and said she would call me back.

She did. She said she could not find S3030. I insisted that she try the URL you gave me. She then offered that she did have S3031. Jeez. "Yes, yes, that's it", I said. Could she obtain some samples? "Why, I standing on a floor of it now... River Rock. We also have samples you can borrow", she said.

My wife went and got them. Here they are. It is the best of what I have heard of. As long as the price only turns me pale, but I don't faint, it is what will be on our floor... maybe by the end of next week.

Now, how can I do you a favor?

George

Old 01-24-09, 01:15 PM
G
@twelvepole

S3032 is on order. We will have a 12 foot x 3 foot "extra" we will try to give away to one of our friends.

Old 01-24-09, 02:25 PM
T
What a happy ending to your delimma. I feel like jumping up and down.

The lack of knowledge of retailers can be blamed primarily on a couple of things. Retailers are dependent upon the occasional call from the manufacturer's rep. Often you don't see the rep until it's time to come around to update the sample racks. Some reps are good about keeping retailers abreast of company news, new products, samples, etc. Many do not care.

Many retailers never put forth the extra effort to educate themselves about the companies and the products they represent. One wonders how many of the Stain Master retailers know that there is a Stain Master website or ever visited it.

At least, you found what you were looking for. That is good news.

Now, about that remnant. I can not tell you how many people have posted here over the years who were in need of vinyl repair. A dropped hot skillet or oven rack can cause permanent damage. The most common problem that's reported is someone scooted the fridge out or in and ripped the vinyl. The most common minor problem tends to be cuts where people drop knives on the vinyl floor. Thus, you may want to hang onto the remnant, especially in view of the fact that finding the pattern was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Damaged areas can be cut out and replaced with leftover vinyl. You may not be able to see it, but there is a repeat in the rock pattern. It will be a little more challenging for the installer to match the pattern, because it is not as obvious as when dealing with the 'rectilinear' patterns that you dislike. But, a savvy installer can match and make the repair.

I am sorry about all the stress over locating your rock pattern getting your immune system down and your catching a cold. Hopefully, the new floor will be a blast of sunshine that cures what ails you.

I want to thank you for reporting back. Over the years, few folks post back and let us know how their projects turned out or to say thanks.

So, thank you, GeorgeWyche!

Old 03-09-09, 06:08 PM
G
@twelvePole

This is likely my final post on this topic. Last week we finished painting the walls and painting the moulding and installing our stuff back into the bathroom.

The floor has worked out well. I recommend the continuous vinyl flooring versus the squares. It inevitably wastes some vinyl, but we are saving the scrap as insurance against repairable damage.

You can see the finished result at www.io.com/~cjwyche/current.html. Click on "remodeled floor".

I was prompted to write again because I was helping some friends move into a house they rented. It seems to have been built in the 90's. Its kitchen floor is very much like our new bathroom floor. The "rocks" are a little bigger, a little browner, and more sparse, but definitely a cousin.

With this recent experience I find myself noticing the variety of floors there are and their settings.

Thanks for helping us out.

George Wyche

Old 09-09-10, 10:38 PM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check that the sub-floor is completely smooth and flat and free from dust and dirt. If you are installing your vinyl flooring over the top of old flooring, make sure that it is not peeling or cracked. If you do find any areas that are damaged it is important that you fill the gaps with a floor filling compound. This also applies to concrete sub-floors. You can purchase a patching compound mix from most good hardware stores. Mix the compound according to the instructions, and using a small trowel spread the mix over any offending holes. Let it dry for at least an hour.It is important to note that you don’t always need to lay the flooring parallel to the walls. Many home owners choose to lay their flooring diagonally across which gives a greatly enhanced visual effect. Although it requires more cutting at the walls, it does look great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: