Can you grout vinyl tile?

Old 01-19-09, 06:53 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can you grout vinyl tile?

We are laying vinyl tile in the kitchen. I've seen the vinyl tile with edges that "look grouted" but they don't really seem as though they would work well. Does anyone know if there is a type of grout or caulking that is safe to use on self adhesive vinyl tile. Also, is there a polyurethane or wax coating I can put on after the tile has been laid that will keep it safe from dirt?
Thanks so much!

Old 01-20-09, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! There is no grout for any cracks in your tile. Vinyl tile is laid edge to edge. Some have the grout design built in, but you can't grout it to get that effect. Most vinyl tile has a coating that resists scuffs, and are "no wax" surfaces.

Old 01-20-09, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Vacuum/sweep daily and damp mop often. No wax floor cleaners when needed. Don't use stuff like Mop-n-glo, it will just leave a buildup that looks bad.

Old 01-20-09, 04:39 PM
H
Okay good deal. Thanks so much! That was a big help. I've been researching like a crazy person. I appreciate it. And thanks for the welcome!

Old 01-20-09, 07:58 PM
R
If you've not started yet - this vinyl tile can be grouted. If your using self stick tiles on bare wood- seal the wood first with Jasco floor sealer. Comes in gallon jugs and looks like milk. It dry quickly - I use two coats. I also use Armstrong vinyl flooring adhesive in addition to the tiles own adhesive. No need to trowel it on in this use - just paint a coat on with a brush.

The problem with self adhesive tiles on bare wood is that eventually the adhesive soaks into the wood and loosens the adhesion - letting the tile or tile edges come up. Good luck with your project.
TrafficMaster - TrafficMaster Ceramica, McKinley Resilient Vinyl Tile Flooring - 1311 - Home Depot Canada

Old 08-28-10, 02:34 PM
K
Grouting Vinyl Tile

I just saw (at a big box store) vinyl tile which can be grouted with acrylic grout.

I prefer vinyl to ceramic - dont like the cold floor and the breakage that occurs on ceramic - just my preference.

I realize this is a fairly new product and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it?

I ripped up old floor and will be laying a luan subfloor, ring nails as recommended and sealing the floor before laying tile....

Old 08-29-10, 06:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Laying grout on luan will suck all the moisture from the grout before it has time to set. I have seen the tile to which you refer, but have had no experience with it, nor do I want to. The theory is still in it's infancy as it hasn't been proven over time, yet. I'd hate to be the test pattern.

Old 08-29-10, 11:52 PM
A
I have around 3 -4 years experience with congoleum's DuraCeramic/ DuraStone and Mannington's Adura. Both are products that can be grouted. I've never worked with the home depot brands so cant comment on them.

I prefer the Adura. super high quality and easy to work with. The grout is a premixed acrylic that is stain resistant and has some flexibility to it. Both of these products have a superior finish (aluminum oxide or ceramic bead) than comparable cheap LVTs that have only a urethane finish.

My personal opinion is these products are passed the testing stage and have proven they are excellent long term floors.

Old 08-29-10, 11:58 PM
A
I have around 3 -4 years experience with congoleum's DuraCeramic/ DuraStone and Mannington's Adura. Both are products that can be grouted. I've never worked with the home depot brands so cant comment on them.

I prefer the Adura. super high quality and easy to work with. The grout is a premixed acrylic that is stain resistant and has some flexibility to it. Both of these products have a superior finish (aluminum oxide or ceramic bead) than comparable cheap LVTs that have only a urethane finish.

My personal opinion is these products are passed the testing stage and have proven they are excellent long term floors.

Old 08-30-10, 05:20 AM
K
What it the width of grout lines in these two products? I ask because I read that HD type calls for 1/8" - I think that is to narrow - but I'd have to go to manufacturer specs. If I do go with vinyl/grout I will go with one of the two you suggested. Thanks

Old 08-31-10, 02:47 PM
A
You can make them whatever size you like (within reason- if you get too big the acrylic grout won't hold) 1/8" is on the thin side of popular. 3/16" is more standard. You don't find 1/4" requested too much anymore. It looks a bit thick (personal opinion).

Old 09-07-10, 05:17 PM
D
you sure can

I just finished installing a grouted, self stick vinyl floor. The flooring I used could be grouted or installed without grouting. I suspect a vinyl floor not engineered for grouting would be too flat and the edges would be too sharp and not blend nicely to the grout.

Old 09-19-10, 09:21 PM
E
American Made instead of Made in China, Go with Congoleum!

MY wife wanted to go with the Adura Vinyl tile. After I found out that its made in China, I decided on Congoleum Dura Ceramic made in NJ. I will install next week. I feel better already!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: