Peel and stick in cabinet?

Old 02-12-09, 10:35 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peel and stick in cabinet?

"Something" leaked under my kitchen sink and when I pulled out the old shelf paper, it just looks awful. I cleaned it all up and not having any shelf paper, thought it would be nice to put wood look peel and stick tiles under there that I happened to have on hand. The cabinet bottom is probably particle board, house 30 years old, so is this a dumb idea?

I really like the smooth clean look of the tile instead of shelf paper and it seems as though it would be so easy to clean but I've read the tile might not stick to the particle board and if it does, it will ruin the cabinet if I want to take it out later. The cabinet is really large because it is a blind corner as well, will take 8 sq ft of the tile. Any thoughts? Do it or not? If so, what it the easiest way to cut the tile around the cabinet edges? Thanks in advance

Old 02-12-09, 03:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not fond of the peel and stick tiles because they don't do all that well on floors but it might be ok in your cabinets. I can't imagine them being deterimental to the particle board. A sharp utility knife [and maybe a straight edge] should cut them fine, although tin snips or aviation shears might also work.

Old 02-12-09, 06:03 PM
T
You may want to prime if the partical board is not painted.

I used an off white - still going strong after 15 years.

Old 02-13-09, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You want to cut them with a nice sharp utility knife and a straight edge. I love peel and stick. I have them in my kitchen(2yrs now) and bathroom (1.5 yrs) and hadn't had one bit of a problem w/ them. Not one has popped up on me.
When we installed them we used a piece of scrap soft wood to cut them on.

Good Luck

Old 02-13-09, 04:50 PM
F
Thanks so much for all of your replies. I put it down without taking the paper off of the sticky side to see how I would like it and lived with it yesterday and today. Now I know that while it looks great, kind of a fake wood parquet look, it is just too dark under there so I am off to get more white shelf paper or maybe some other kind of firmer plastic liner.

Thanks for the reminder to cut on soft scrap wood, had forgotten that and I know it would have worked nicely.

Hmmm, now what to do with the tiles....maybe line the top shelves...one of those impulse buys of 20 sq ft, 2 boxes before I put in the real hardwood floors everywhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: