addtional adhesive for self stick tiles

Old 03-02-09, 10:48 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
addtional adhesive for self stick tiles

Hello,
I recently installed Armstrong self stick vinyl tiles directly on my smooth basement floor. I have found that they creak when I walk on them, even after 48 hours of heavy weight on them. I suspect they aren't well stuck due to the cold floor. I intend to pull up each tile one by one and apply additional adhesive.
1. Will or do you think this should work?
2. What product would you recommend using for this? I have some tile adhesive but doubt it is meant for vinyl products.
Thanks,
Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 10:37 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When I put my tiles down about 2 yrs ago in the kitchen, I used a dab of liquid nails. I put one on each corner and one in the center. I have yet to have one come up. I heard horror story's of the tiles coming up and I needed them to stay down for atleast 4-6 yrs or until I get my kitchen remodel done. I did have to tear one up and let me tell ya, it was a pain in the but.

Did you take a heavy roller and roll them after install?? What did you stick them to(subfloor??) Also, I don't know if they will restick after you tear them up? How many are there? I made a couple mistakes and had to take one or two up during installation and there were a lot of stuff from the subfloor on it. I forget the name of the subfloor I have but it is like luan, its is super smooth on one side and the other is a little rough. It may be different for you though.
Let me know
Good LUck

Old 03-03-09, 01:51 PM
P
I used some CVT adhesive last night, thin coat as directed. I am not holding my breath. I don't have a roller, but I went over each tile all over with my body weight and palm of my hand. There are about 50 tiles, small area so it's not that bad to redo.
As for your other question, it is directly to the concrete floor. There was nothing on the tiles thankfully. If the tiles aren't stuck today, I will try the liquid nails thing.
Thanks much!
Pat

Old 03-05-09, 03:35 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My coworker installed peel n' stick on his basement bathroom floor which was on concrete. It has been over 2 yrs now and he hasn't had a problem and he didn't use any extra adhesive. His concrete was only about 5 yrs old so not sure if that has anything to do w/ it.
Good luck

Old 03-05-09, 05:25 AM
P
Warm climate? I am in WI. I think it might be the cold. Anyway, the CVT cement held a bit better and I am going to just deal with it. The room is for storing wine and will see little traffic. If it were a kitchen, I'd probably have a durability problem.
Pat

Old 04-27-14, 12:13 PM
D
Vinyl Tiles (VCT) on rough concrete & Liquid Nails

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone reading it later as I am, a word of caution; Liquid Nails is fine if it supplements screws or nails in porous materials. It helps prevent any movement when rigidity is required. However, it is not good for non-porous materials (vinyl is only very slightly porous), and after a matter of 5 years or so, it dries completely, and fails to hold anything that was not also secured else-wise.

I once went back and used finish nails to attach quarter round that had been used by the homeowner 5 years earlier in a post & beam home where it was used to trim every section of wall between every exposed post & beam in the house. They were just dropping off. The old Liquid Nails was not hard to chip off, but it was a tedious job. Liquid Nails, in my opinion, is not a great choice for vinyl tiles on rough concrete, and at least one better choice is cheaper.

About self-stick tiles on cement floors. We patched our basement floor as best we could. Built just post depression, lots of short cuts had been taken. The basement had only been half excavated when the house was built, and that half was the first concrete pour, almost certainly made in small batches by one man who couldn't make and haul new batches as fast as earlier batches were curing. Sometime later, the rest of the basement was dug by hand, and that section of the floor is 3/4" to 1-1/2" higher than the original, and it's surface was finished with a stiff broom. There is an uneven crack between them. Small cracks exist almost everywhere one looks.

Best solution, I believe, would be to pour a self-leveling cement over the whole floor, but that's cost prohibitive. Instead, we did our best to fix what we have. We used a dry-stick vinyl tile glue, and adhesive backed tiles (only because they offered better choices in our price range); there is no peeling or curling of the edges, no bubbles, no noises when we walk on them, and no other evidence that they aren't sticking. Without the additional glue, they would certainly not have stuck well on very much of the floor.