can I use self-stick tiles over existing floor?

Old 07-18-09, 06:44 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I use self-stick tiles over existing floor?

I want to find a relatively inexpensive/easy way to replace my (small) kitchen floor. A friend suggested I use the vinyl self-stick tiles --but I can't find anyone that knows if I can apply them over the existing linoleum floor or do I need to rip that up first?? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 07-18-09, 07:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I can't find anyone that knows if I can apply them over the existing linoleum floor or do I need to rip that up first?
Are you sure it is linoleum? Linoleum hasn't been routinely used in homes in a very long time. If it is in fact sheet vinyl not ancient linoleum, is well glued down, not embossed, and has no holes or tears after a good cleaning to remove any wax you should be good to go with out removing.

Linoleum on the other hand often wasn't glued down and given it's age may be brittle and unsuitable as a base. Another problem with linoleum there was a tendency to just lay it on an even older layer. I've seen 3 or more layers. If that is the case you would want to remove it.

Old 07-18-09, 08:29 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No - I'm not really sure if its linoleum -- not sure I would know how to tell the difference...but given what you said - these condo's were built in 2000 -- so I'm guessing maybe its new enough to really be a sheet of vinyl. It appears to be well glued down as nothing is bubbling/peeling up but there are a few cuts from sharp items falling on the floor. should I just find something to seal those up first? thanks a bunch for your feedback!

Old 07-18-09, 09:40 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I put down quiet a bit of self stick over vinyl and never had a call back. If they are really just cuts 1/16" or less in width probably no reason to even seal them.

Old 07-20-09, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I love this stuff!! I am in the process of finishing my renovated mud room/laundry room and I just put down new vinyl tile over my existing vinyl tile that I installed about 4 yrs ago. I add a bit of liquid nails to the corners and one in the center, kinda like you make it look like a #5 on a dice. Then slap it down.

I have this in my bathroom also and its great flooring!! If you wanna go more expensive, there is always duraceramic. I looked into it, thinking it was going to run about 2-3 dollars a sq. ft. and boy was I wrong!! For a 7.5' x 13' room it was going to cost me about 450 dollars!! That didn't include the grout. This stuff is groutable or glueable.

Well, good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: