Need advice on the selection of Flooring for my basement

Old 10-31-09, 11:36 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on the selection of Flooring for my basement

Hello All;
This is my secont attemnt at posting this message - it didn't seem to get posted the first time.

I am desperately seeking advice on the selection of a flooring solution for my basement. I just had Asbestos tile removed and now I'm left with ugly concrete that was beneath it with the marks from where the tile was removed. Here's what I'd like in my selection of tile ...

Has to be waterproof and resistant to dog and cat messes (Which do occur once in a while - I need something that won't absorb urine for that reason.) I also get water down there once about every 3 years only due to a drain backup caused by roots in the clay tile. Has to look nice, be fairly maintenance free, and has to withstand fairly heavy weight from some shelving units I have. Cost is somewhat of an issue but I don't want the cheapest or most expensive option, something in-between.

My handyman wants to lay down Trafficmaster Allure flooring from the Home Depot but I have read some bad reviews from a few users who had it separate at the seams and said it looked ugly after a while and I question its waterproofing.

I have considered Naturestone but can't find a single review.

I had the suggestion to just coat the concrete to get rid of the stains since he said concrete is one of the most durable flooring materials.

A professional flooring company I visited last week suggested Vinyl flooring due to its waterproofness.

So I'm confused about the best solution. Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations, anyone ? Thanks.

Tim

Old 10-31-09, 12:22 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Tim, don't be upset about losing a post or two. I have diligently typed out a long and detailed answer only to go looking for it and IT'S GONE. I now "control C" before I post, or even type the answer in word and paste to be sure it gets there. All in all, the board works very well, we just have to adapt to it's quirks.

Now for your basement. Basements are perhaps the single most difficult area of a home to improve. They ALL have moisture and the potential to grow mold, smell bad, or fill up when something provides enough water. If you take all of those issues into consideration (assuming you still want to do something) it can become a usable space that can be cleaned up when necessary. We have pets and love them, so appreciate their issues.

Rather than me trying to type out what I have learned, I'll start you off with some reading.
BSI-003: Concrete Floor Problems —

RR-0309: Renovating Your Basement —

I'll check back to see if these helped.
Bud

Old 10-31-09, 12:52 PM
W
Thanks for the quick response, Bud.
Thanks for your explanation on what to do to prevent losing messages. Actually, I sometimes copy to the clipboard but not always so I should make it a regular practice.

I will anxiously study the web resources you have led me to and will return to ask more questions which I'm sure I'll have.

Tim

Old 10-31-09, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just another angle. Nothing you will put on the floor will accomplish all your requirements, absolutely. Linoleum is not "waterproof", it is soft, and will scratch. Ceramic tile is probably the nearest you will come as it is hard, isn't affected too much by water, and if sealed properly will take stains well. You don't want laminate or wood flooring due to moisture problems.
To the point. Have you contacted anyone about cleaning the concrete, scoring it and staining it? Man, it sure looks good, and you aren't reliant on any foreign product, only the existing concrete.

Old 10-31-09, 06:33 PM
W
Hi Chandler; Thanks for your insights. I have pretty much come to the same conclusion you mentioned in your response. Interestingly, the I started looking into ways I can beautify my concrete without applying anything over it because I think concrete is pretty durable and will fit my requirements. I actually have to have a little oncrete repair since there is a little spot where there is a circular area of lower concrete so I will probably need that tiny area raised. Before I had the asbestos tile removed, this circular area was very, very noticable and really looked bad. What do you think about sealing the concrete or coating it or isn't this necessary ? Rustoleum sells a number of products which allow the homeowner to seal or coat a basement floor. While I would call in a professsional because I'm not confident I can do a good job myself, I did want to call attention to these processes to see if they would benefit my basement. I am attaching a picture of one section of my basement that needs the work done. I want to eventually get it done to the entire basement. Click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser. If you'll look on the lower right by the bathroom door, you'll see a circular area that is sunken a little bit that I need to have fixed. http://www.dedula.net/DSC_0074_sml.jpg Tim

Old 11-01-09, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tim, I believe a good cleaning and possible sanding of the floor will bring it back to a good surface, and possibly help take care of the visuality of the sunken area. From there you may be able to apply a stain, then a durable clear finish over that and have a super looking floor. But, as you said, it may help to bring in a professional, if for nothing else, good advice.
One of my customers had theirs scored in odd rectangular shapes to replicate a slate look, stained and finished, and you would think they spent a month laying tile, when it really only took less than a week, considering curing time.

Old 11-01-09, 04:32 AM
W
Thanks again, Chandler;
Yours is the route I'll take. I'll seek out a cement contractor specializing in repair and possibly basements and finally get this task completed so I can move my stuff back in there :-).

Tim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: