Vinyl Tile over Vinyl Tile

Old 11-01-09, 08:22 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Tile over Vinyl Tile

Hello,

We would like to install vinyl tile over existing vinyl tile. The existing vinyl tile is in pretty good shape, but we know that we must put something in between the two so the other flooring indents, etc do not show through.

We would like some advise on what the "something" is besides putting down a subfloor.

I have read a little about levelers. Is this our only option? Is there soemthing else out there that we can\should use?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Old 11-17-09, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have done this same project in two rooms in my house and so far has worked out great. First, you need to be very sure that all the existing tiles are in good shape, like not peeling up in the corners, etc. If so, you could take the bad ones out and put floor leveler down. This stuff is great!! I am not sure if there is anything else that you can use. The leveler I purchased at lowes is in a bag, and you mix it w/ water. I used a joint compount container to mix it in. Then just spread it down in the low areas and let dry. I took a rough sandpaper like 80'ish and smoothed it over. It turns extremely hard.

I took a wall out that seperated our little laundry room and kitchen nook. I had vinyl tile flooring. Well when I took out the wall there was about a 1/4 difference, maybe a hair more, and I used leveler to bring it even w/ the vinyl tile then installed new vinyl tile over top. Can't tell where the wall was.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: