Removal of Linoleum/install self-adhesive tiles

Old 12-20-09, 07:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removal of Linoleum/install self-adhesive tiles

I have a problem...I have tiled my dining room with self-adhesive tiles (over the existing vynal tiles ) with no problems..but the kitchen (i have an archway through from dining area so floor needs to be same) has linoleum stuck to the original vynal tiles... As the linoleum is damaged i have started to remove it using a heat gun..unfortunatley the original tiles are lifting in places too ,leaving the screeded floor exposed..I have tried laying a couple of the self adhesive tiles to the screed but they dont seem to be sticking as well...is there anything i can do to the screeded floor to help my new tiles stick better...... Any help suggestions greatly appreciated as i was hoping this project would be complete for xmas.....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 10:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
By screeded floor, I am picturing a concrete floor. If so, self stick tiles don't get along with it too well. You may be able to use Henry's (or other brand) vinyl adhesive as a base using a 1/8" trowel, then apply the tile. The self stick properties will be replaced by the adhesive.

Old 12-21-09, 10:02 AM
B
Many thanks ......will crack on with that now..... many thanks again and have a good Xmas....

Old 12-23-09, 02:32 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have a couple options, however one of them would not be to use Henry's (or any other brand) vinyl adhesive ( a multi purpose adhesive for vinyl floors with a backing) under a vinyl tile with a 1/8" trowel. You can use the vinyl adhesive as a barrier coat for a dust free surface to apply a self-adhesive tile.

I would recomend you take up the vinyl floor (it probably is not linoleum there is a major difference) Use a henry's floor patch to level the missing tile and apply a skim
coat over the tile to provide a smooth surface for the new tile, sand if necessary, clean & use a flat trowel (no notches) to apply a skim coat of multi purpose adhesive, let dry and apply self-adhesive tile. The barrier coat is a necessity if any dust is present.

Good luck

PS: I have seen improper vct installations applied with a 1/8" trowel, not very pretty as u will see every notch even threw a 1/8" tile.

Paul Spurlock

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-24-09 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Company name removed. Advertising not allowed.
Old 12-29-09, 06:19 PM
F
i agree with resorfacer , no need for all that adhesive ,1/8 notch will telegraph threw tiles , self stick have a high shine finsh , dry time would be 1 hour min or adhisve would bleed threw seams. FLAT TROWLE adhesive as a primer