Installing self-stick vinyl tiles over ceramic tile?

Old 02-05-10, 03:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing self-stick vinyl tiles over ceramic tile?

I've tried this, and the self-stick tiles will not stay put. They move/slide out of position.

Would a coating of Ardex SD-F Feather Finish, or similar product, over the ceramic tile solve the "sliding" problem?

Thanks!!

Old 02-05-10, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I doubt throwing good money after bad will ever result in a good floor. What other options do you have on the flooring? Have you looked at Allure, or other laminates? Far superior and longer lasting than the self stick. And easier to install.

Old 02-05-10, 04:16 PM
Is Allure good for bathrooms?

Edit: After some research, I seen a lot of complaints about the "vinyl" smell of Allure flooring not going away, and planks coming loose at the seams. Have you heard of these problems?

Last edited by tbird94; 02-05-10 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 05:39 PM
Not really. Now, if you get the adhesive strip dirty or dusty it may fail. I have customers who have installed it themselves and it had taken the punishment of 3 kids a dog as well as the adults in an entertainment room. Never heard of the vinyl "smell" problem.

Old 02-05-10, 06:19 PM
G
flooring

Originally Posted by chandler
Not really. Now, if you get the adhesive strip dirty or dusty it may fail. I have customers who have installed it themselves and it had taken the punishment of 3 kids a dog as well as the adults in an entertainment room. Never heard of the vinyl "smell" problem.
I never had a "smell" issue with it either. Laid it in a bathroom and a kitchen 2 years ago and all is still good. Be sure to Stagger the butt seams just like you would laminate planks. Roll the seams afterwards or I used a rubber mallet to help get a more secure seal. You may have some small places where the seam may be a little visible but its not a biggie. Heck, that can happen to laminate floors. I was very happy with the results.

Old 02-06-10, 04:56 AM
GQ, glad you had good results. I like the idea of rolling it. Did you use a 100 lb roller or just a hand roller of sorts? I am tossed regarding my weekend rental cabin as to whether I should install ironwood t&g which I can get for $2 sf or the allure, which would be much easier to install. I am looking for a tough floor since different people visit every week, and it can take a beating. Ironwood, I know, will take the punishment, but it is in 3 1/2" strips, and the allure is much much wider and faster. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-06-10, 08:33 AM
G
Install

Originally Posted by chandler
GQ, glad you had good results. I like the idea of rolling it. Did you use a 100 lb roller or just a hand roller of sorts? I am tossed regarding my weekend rental cabin as to whether I should install ironwood t&g which I can get for $2 sf or the allure, which would be much easier to install. I am looking for a tough floor since different people visit every week, and it can take a beating. Ironwood, I know, will take the punishment, but it is in 3 1/2" strips, and the allure is much much wider and faster. Thanks for the input.
I used a rubber mallet on mine but a hand roller would work as well using your weight as pressure on all the seams. The Allure is pretty tuff stuff and would be easy to install or remove if ever needed. It was 24 sq. ft. in a box for 51.00 @ HD. I would use it again.

Old 02-06-10, 08:52 AM
Thanks much for the helpful advice!!

I'll almost definitely go with laminate in the kitchen, and be careful to get the seems right.

Not sure what I'll do in the bathroom. It's a very small area. Maybe narrow planking would look good.

Old 02-06-10, 09:15 AM
G
floor

Originally Posted by tbird94
Thanks much for the helpful advice!!

I'll almost definitely go with laminate in the kitchen, and be careful to get the seems right.

Not sure what I'll do in the bathroom. It's a very small area. Maybe narrow planking would look good.
If you use click together Laminate in the kitchen area be SURE to get a moisture alarm on your ice maker and your dishwasher. Both my neighbors had to replace their laminate floors from undetected leaks that ran under the planks and ruined them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: