Help with peel and stick vinyl planks

Old 05-13-10, 03:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with peel and stick vinyl planks

I am needing some suggestions... here is the situation. The room I want to install peel and stick vinyl planks in has 3/4" OSB sub flooring, and the room is in between two other rooms. The manufacture of the flooring stated not to install the planks over OSB and I can not go any higher than 1/8" of additional material over the OSB because the flooring of the other rooms will not match up. I have tried all the surrounding lumber, hardware, diy chain store, etc. looking for 1/8" luan plywood but none of them carry it 1/4" is the thinnest they have. I have wondered if some type of floor sealer or something along that lines would work. Am open to any other material or products you can think of. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-10, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the adhesive may not stick will the the "chips" that are in osb...you could try sealing the floor with a primer paint..then put your tile adhesive down...either that or take the osb out and put better grade plywood down and then your luan

Old 05-17-10, 07:47 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you checked with the manufacturer if 1/8 hard board (AKA Masonite) is okay?

Old 05-17-10, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ray, would you recommend gluing the masonite down? Not a big fan of masonite, but if the manufacturer says it's OK, then the only thing I would recommend is a good method of adhesion to the OSB that won't telegraph into the flooring.

Old 05-17-10, 06:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My father used untempered 1/4 inch hard board and nailed it down with 4d commons but then that was with linoleum. For vinyl I'd use construction adhesive and a mimimum of ring shank nails. but honestly I haven't tried it so maybe I should retract my statement.

Old 05-18-10, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No, I wasn't suggesting that. My experience with using a thin underlayment, whether Masonite or luan was the telegraphing problem with any fastener. I finally installed ceramic tile in our kitchen, mainly because the linoleum was ugly, with a capital "U". One spot in the middle of the floor the installer apparently just bent over a nail in the underlayment. It telegraphed through over the years and caught your eye every time you walked in the room.

Old 05-18-10, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Masonite is not a good underlayment. Most plywood marked 1/4 " is usually closer to 1/8" The best thing to do would be to take up the beaver barf (osb) and put down some decent plywood, but that can be expensive.