adhesive removal

Old 06-12-10, 12:05 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question adhesive removal

what is the best means of removing vinyl floor adhesives before installing ceramic tile?

Old 06-25-10, 08:27 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I'm guessing this is a concrete slab, dunno?

If thats the case you have to mechanically remove it with a scraper. Using chemicals can ultimately affect the bond of the thinset you will use to set the tile.

Old 06-25-10, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
heresjohnny is right. Never, ever, use chemicals to take up ashesive. It will soak into the subfloor, concrete or wood, and can keep, thinset, vinyl adhesive, wood adhesive or anything from sticking.

Old 07-01-10, 06:31 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A heat gun will work most of the time.

Old 07-29-10, 12:06 PM
D
after scraping ....

I understand you have to take up the old adhesive 'mechanically' (scraping - using heat gun), but there will surely be a thin film of adhesive left. How do you remove that so as to have a perfectly clean surface for putting down new self stick tile?

(I have a similar problem. I'm taking up self stick 1'X1' vinyl tile that was laid on top of sheet vinyl flooring). The vinyl flooring was about 12 years old at the time and in excellent shape. About 12 years ago I laid self stick vinyl tile on top of it (I cleaned the old floor before I put down the self stick with a cleaner/stripper).

I'm planning on using a steam iron and bath towel to heat the tiles and remove them. (I did this a few years ago when I had to replace a few tiles). That worked well, however I didn't scrape the old area before laying the new replacement tile down. It held OK, but me thinks that if I had cleaned it, it would have stuck perfectly...

In any event, how do I remove the last bit of residue? Or should I just bite the bullet and rip up the old vinyl tile? Someone told me that in most cases it's only glued at the perimeter of the flooring.

I'm replacing the flooring in my kitchen/eat-in area. It adjoins a hallway and foyer with a power room and laundary room off the hallway. (This is the job I did before when I put self-stick tile down).

Would most of that area, which was covered with the same pattern sheet vinyl be glued at the edges only, or am I in for a horrendous job if I try to take that up?

I'm sort of afraid it might be glued at the edges in the kitchen/eat-in area, but the hallway, foyer, powder room, and laundary room, it might be completely glued down. I'd hate for a several day job to turn into a several week job ....

Thanks, Dave

Old 07-29-10, 05:00 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Flooring adhesive remover will not work for you? It does cost about $20 a gallon but is very user friendly.

Old 07-29-10, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
you must not have read the whole thread. Those adhesive removers tend to keep the next flooring from sticking.

Old 07-30-10, 06:11 AM
D
Adhesive remover purpose?

My question still stands... even with a heat gun and scraping some gummy residue will remain, so how is that removed?

The next follow on question is about adhesive remover? If adhesive remover tends to prevent a new floor from adhering, then what is its purpose? Why is adhesive remover sold?
(it is used to remove adhesive splotches where adhesive gets on the 'good' side of flooring, i.e., a spot cleaner. Or is it used to remove adhesive with the understanding the new floor being laid is of a completely different composition, i.e., engineered wood floor replacing an old vinyl floor?

The good folks at Armstrong flooring (customer service) could only tell me to scrape the glue residue off the old floor. They would not recommend any product (but I think it was because of product liability).

Old 07-30-10, 07:07 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Sheet vinyl is typically installed over a 1/4" underlayment. Set the depth of your circular saw to cut thru the peel & sticks, vinyl and underlayment. Cut it up into 2' squares and remove with a hammer and prybar. Install new underlayment and then your new flooring.

Old 07-30-10, 06:10 PM
E
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
you must not have read the whole thread. Those adhesive removers tend to keep the next flooring from sticking.
If that is the case, wo be me and to the company that makes the stuff, without a dire warning! (lawsuit time!). Brand S says this, and ONLY this on the back of their jug:

"S******* *** *** is a powerful, biodegradable formula designed to safely and effectively strip adhesives remaining after removing vinyl tile, indoor and outdoor carpeting and wood flooring. S******* *** *** is an environmentally friendly, low odor product that effectively removes a variety of adhesives without the use of methylene chloride, acetone, toluene and other harmful agents. Use S******* *** *** to remove the old adhesive from exiting floors, and/or properly prepare the surface before laying new floor and/or for cleanup after new floor installation. " (That is it, in English!) No warnings.

Re-read their last sentence, if need be. That last sentence, due to their comma and their "and/or", could be interpreted to read 'S.......to remove or properly prepare the surface'.

What they wrote does NOT mean that you first use their product and then must take any necessary action to prepare the surface after you have used their stripper. Like I said, re-read the quote. And as I said, they give no warnings about doing prep work first! Nor advise about any necessary residue neutralizing method.

Old 07-31-10, 08:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They can say what they want, but I have installed for almost 40 years and I know of no installer who hasn't seen failures due to adhesive removers.

Old 07-31-10, 03:19 PM
E
It says on the front label that this is the pro's choice. If this (even particular user friendly brand) has the problem you claim, then maybe we have hundreds of dollars of expense to befall us down the road, since a guy is now installing new VCT over the 800 square foot slab we stripped with the stuff. He also went over the floor with a commercial floor scrubber machine first.

Old 07-31-10, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wish you luck. I hope it all stays down for you.

Old 08-01-10, 10:17 AM
E
Well, thanks. Us too!

I just got back from the place. The guy laying the tile is dry fitting the perimeter and corners/45-degree pieces first. Nobody was there, about 1 hour ago - so what I did was spritz water on where I know we used the adhesive remover(as I had a hand in doing it) where the carpet seams were. (They must have used some other type of adhesive at the seams as hot water did not disolve it like it did out in the room everywhere else). And I did(spritzed) the area in the middle of the room where only hot water was used to strip the adhesive. There is absolutely NO difference in the behavior of the water when it hits the concrete (i.e., no beading up of the water). Nor can you tell by looking (or feeling) at the concrete where the areas were that we used this pro's #1 choice adhesive remover (water based I believe).About $20 a gallon, practically no odor, and you can put your hands in it with no repercutions.

Old 08-10-10, 05:29 PM
E
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
I wish you luck. I hope it all stays down for you.
Sam, I did an experiment today, after I discovered something yesterday. Yesterday I was scraping up the remnants of linoleum felt backing from a concrete laundry area, and I ended up using that same #1 choice adhesive remover. After I was finished, I spritzed water on it, the same way I did out at that facility where the 800 feet of VCT got layed. Remember how I said the concrete did not bead water?

Well it did, badly, on that concrete laundry room floor. So I got off the residue with a powerful degreaser and hot water and rinse, doing the procedure twice for good measure, and then it did not bead water.

I went out to the facility and did an experiment. I took THEIR jug of adhesive remover(same stuff I used) and mine as well, and compared the beading property of each, on some clean smooth concrete floor there. Same thing. Both beaded similar to if I had spritzed water on oil.

So then what I decided to do for the fun of it was to smear on some adhesive remover, and then while it was still damp, I smeared on some VCT adhesive. It slimed around a bit at first and then it seemed to 'take' better. Then I moved over about 8 inches and rubbd on some more adhesive remover, but this time I wiped off any excess til it was about dry. This seemd to 'take' the adhesive better. Then I moved over another 8 inches and rubbed on VCT adhesive to clean concrete. I will come back after it sets for a number of days and then try to scrape all 3 spots off and come to a determination.

A building director was watching me and he said that the 800 foot floor was indeed gone over with a commercial floor scrubber that had a cleaner and degreaser agent added to the water, a couple days before the VCT got layed. That explains why, as I pointed out in an earlier post, why the adhesive remover did not bead water.

Old 08-27-10, 04:45 PM
E
Test results in!

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
So then what I decided to do for the fun of it was to smear on some adhesive remover, and then while it was still damp, I smeared on some VCT adhesive. It slimed around a bit at first and then it seemed to 'take' better. Then I moved over about 8 inches and rubbd on some more adhesive remover, but this time I wiped off any excess til it was about dry. This seemd to 'take' the adhesive better. Then I moved over another 8 inches and rubbed on VCT adhesive to clean concrete. I will come back after it sets for a number of days and then try to scrape all 3 spots off and come to a determination.
I went to scrape off the adhesive from all 3 test spots today with a window razor scraper. The spot that was smeared into wet adhesive remover took to the concrete as well as to the dry concrete. Unbelievable, if I did not see it with my own eyes! Even with a razor scraper that was sharp, I can't hardly get all the 'gum' off!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: