Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

how do you handle right angle when installing engineered wood floor

Old 07-02-10, 07:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am installing engineer hardwood in a hallway which in itself offers some challenges. My real issue is how to continue the flooring when the hallway had a right turn. Do I just butt the end up against the long edge or do I stagger the planks by the width of a plank? In either case how to I join the two planks to create the right angle.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bostonblackie

Last edited by bostonblackie; 07-02-10 at 07:14 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 07-02-10, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If I understand correctly, you would run the flooring all the same direction, continuing down the hallway with the same pattern. With 3/4" hardwood you can change direction of the flooring by using a transition strip. Not sure if you can on an engineered floor.

Old 07-03-10, 12:56 AM
a transition is the easiest, however it could be considered a trip hazard, depending on the household. You can do this two different ways. One way is to continue with the direction of the wood as you take the right angle, which means you will end up with short lengths or the opposite of the other hall. The other way may not be easy, which you butt the angle into the long board or like staggering the planks like you stated, which is the same application, except you will be butting one board to one board, not eight boards to one board. BTW, sometimes laminate are not mitered for 90 degree. Try it first on sample or damaged pieces.
Good luck.

Old 07-03-10, 08:47 AM
B

Thanks for the replies that have been sent so far. The use of a transition would not work in this case which leave me with
======== or staggered layout which is fine. the problem is
l l l l l l
how to join the planks. the clips work end to end and long side to long side but not long side to end which would be the case in either layout. I do I go about connecting the planks?

BTW I now realize that I am in the wrong forum but I don't know how to move it over.

Bostonblackie

Old 07-03-10, 12:21 PM
what brand of laminate are you using, actually, list all information that would be helpful. And I've never used clips, so what are their purpose.

what is the size of your hall, each section separately.

Old 07-03-10, 12:34 PM
B

the flooring is made by Columbia flooring and it is the long strip hardwood Dales collection. The Purpose of the clips is to remove the need for gluing. the hallway is L shaped with the length of 15 feet and 36" wide the short length is 86" with a width of 39". I am installing over concrete that is level and will be installing a pad and vapor barrier.

Bostonblackie

Old 07-03-10, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing that when you say clips...you mean the sorta tongue and groove "click together" edges....not actual separate clips?

Old 07-03-10, 01:04 PM
B

True, the panels click together "thanks to our ingenious shape of tongue and groove" so says the literature.

Bostonblbackie

Old 07-03-10, 05:56 PM

bostonblackie; how to join the planks. the clips work end to end and long side to long side but not long side to end which would be the case in either layout. I do I go about connecting the planks?

Boy, you really confused me with that statement. I finally figured it out, I hope. One end and one edge have a tongue, the other end and edge have a groove. Which ever way you choose, it's the same concept. Hopefully the link I listed will work, it's a layout.

Last edited by chilly.az.girl; 07-03-10 at 05:57 PM. Reason: link did not work
Old 07-03-10, 06:02 PM
B
sorry for any confusion I might have created in my description. you made reference to a link but I did not see it in your reply or did I just miss it.

Old 07-03-10, 06:27 PM
well, I will figure out how to list the link. Sorry

Old 07-08-10, 06:29 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can make a spline from the same material (cut it on a table saw) then glue it in place. Or you can buy a special router bit made for this sort of problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: