Vinyl over Vinyl? What is Under there?

Old 09-18-10, 12:38 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl over Vinyl? What is Under there?

House built on a concrete slab in 1999. I want to put new linoleum or vinyl down. Can I put it over the existing vinyl? If not, is it likely just on top of the concrete and no underlayment? and being a loose floor type roll, just glued on the edges?

Old 09-18-10, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You won't know until you check. Are you sure it's loose lay? Loose lay and edge glued are 2 different animals (I think). My last place was a few years older..but it was a kinda random glue down thing.

You can put vinyl on top of vinyl...but the pattern underneath can show though unless you use a filler.

Old 09-18-10, 01:09 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so when I see loose lay, I don't have to use any glue? And is linoleum that much better than vinyl? The salvage yard I went to today sells Congoleum brand for $1.09 per sq ft. I assume that would be for vinyl. Didn't know much at the time to look for linoleum.

Old 09-18-10, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Linoleum will be more expensive than vinyl and is really not a DIY material. If the old vinyl is fuly adhered you can install either loose lay or glue-down vinyl over it. If it is perimeter glued, it needs to come up. The old pattern will show through if you glue down vinyl over the old vinyl.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: