floor sealants

Old 10-09-10, 08:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question floor sealants

My apt repair person bought me Zep floor sealant and told me to apply it to a tenants floor to seal it. I did - following label istructions. On the second application the tenant walked on it when it was half dry. Now he is complaining that it is rough like sandpaper and will cut his feet. I tried the net but could not find anything about what happens if you put this sealer on a vinyl floor. Why is it sandpaper rough? Should I put another coat or should I use floor polish or floor wax. NEED IN PUT - PLEASE !!!

Old 10-11-10, 02:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I've never seen fit to put anything on a vinyl floor

Old 10-13-10, 07:43 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealer confused

Well, thanks for the input. The apartment above had a toilet flushing problem and his vinyl tile was not put on very well with gaps 1/8 -1/4 inch sometimes and one was broken. When the toilet got plugged it leaked a little and then the basin leaked twice - enough to cause it to go downstairs. So rather than replace the entire tile and or flooring - we did this. The sandpaper problem was solved by sanding it off and reapplying it. So now we have 4 layers of sealant. Now I am thinking of putting some sort of bag- like stapling a garbage bag to the underside of the flooring and then repair the ceiling. I understand the tenants feeling very well. I just don't know how the make the old flooring water tight.

Old 10-15-10, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
I wish you luck. You are not supposed to put sealant on vinyl.

Old 10-22-10, 02:51 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's just too bad that I didn't see this thread earlier. I put sealer on ALL of my bathroom floors to protect them from stains, and it works very well.

I have had a problem with ZEP sealer too. It's the only acrylic sealer I know of that doesn't seem to stick well to other acrylic sealers. I put it on the vinyl composition tiles in my mother's dining room (which already had multiple coats of Buckeye First Down sealer, and the ZEP sealer beaded up (like water on an oiled pan). So, I took the ZEP off and put down First Down and never had that problem again.

I think that the problem is with ZEP's sealer. From now on use either First Down by Buckeye, Dynasty (by Swish, a Canadian Company) or Technique by Diversey (formerly Johnson Diversey).

But, your repair guy was correct to recommend putting acrylic sealer on sheet vinyl (or any kind of vinyl flooring) to protect it from stains. If you go to Forbo's web site, you'll find that their "Marmoleum" linoleum flooring is really just natural linoleum with a factory applied coating of acrylic floor finish on it. The acrylic finish on Marmoleum is "Carefree" made by the S. C. Johnson Wax Co., which is the floor finish I use. So, if Forbo and the S. C. Johnson Wax Co. see a benefit in putting floor finish on real linoleum, then provided it sticks, you'd get that same benefit putting it on a sheet vinyl floor. And, carrying the logic one step further, by using an acrylic sealer instead of an acrylic finish, you get a more durable coating over the linoleum and much better stain protection to boot.

You didn't do anything wrong. ZEP sealer is kinda screwy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: