Underlayment for self-adhesive vinyl squares

Old 12-14-00, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Good evening folks. This is my first time so be gentle with me. Have purchased self-adhesive vinyl squares to help give my kitchen a new look. Present flooring consists of one layer of vinyl squares over a very old layer of sheet vinyl the padding for which (and probably the vinyl as well) is asbestos-based. Needless to say I don't plan to mess with any of it. The existing surface is in pretty good shape but has some gouges and chipped areas ... some of which are 2"x3" or so. A 1/4" plywood underlayment stapled/nailed/screwed to the existing surface should give me a great working surface. Problem is that I get conflicting advise as to which plywood to use. Luan is fairly cheap (less than $11 per 4/8' sheet) but the Home Depot guy said that it will leach some kind of chemical/stain thingie up into the new flooring squares. He said to use a softer-wood underlayment (also 1/4") ... but that stuff is twice the price (and half the rigidity). The floor area is relatively large (14 4x8 sheets-worth). Any thoughts out there? Once the underlayment is selected, should it be nailed, screwed, or stapled? Thanks ever-so.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-00, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Luan is not recommended as an underlayment.
Go here and ask that question, they are the top dogs in floor coverings across the country and world for that matter.

http://www.i-boards.com/bnp/fci/