Help - self stick vinyl tiles won't stick

Old 12-05-10, 04:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - self stick vinyl tiles won't stick

I bought some 12x24 self stick vinyl tiles from Home Depot (Traffic Master) and I am installing them over existing linoleum roll floors. I lightly scruff sanded the floors before sticking the tiles down, but they started to lift all around the edges. I then went back to HD and they said to try glue first and got the glue they recommended. And of course after two days, the glue still hasn't dried and now after reading the container it says not to apply between two non-porous surfaces which I would think I have and explained to the HD guy before buying the glue. Typical idiot advice from HD.

Does anyone know how to fix this? What type of glue I should use? Or should I try contact cement?

I am really hoping to get these floors in before Xmas...

Old 12-05-10, 07:01 PM
F
hello snaffoo . What kind of adhesive did you buy? You probably did not let the ahesive set long enough, dry to the touch , before you install the tile down. any glue whould dry on a non-porous surface as long as you let sit lond enough or use a fan to dry it . If you add another non-porous product on top of a wet adhesive it will not allow any moister to escape You should need a multi purpose adhesive installed with the flat side of the trowle and allowed to dry. Try taking up a few tiles and leve it open for a hour and install the tiles . roll the tiles if you can , or a small hevey box with a towle under it. do not use contact cement you may ruin the tile

Old 12-05-10, 09:12 PM
S
It was a multi-purpose adhesive, specific for vinyl flooring. And are you saying I should put the glue on the existing floor with the trowel, let it dry, then put the new tile on top? This seems a bit odd as isn't the glue supposed to bond between the two surfaces which I would think the glue needs to be wet?

Old 12-06-10, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
You should not have used multi-purpose. If you were going to add adhesive, though not usually necessary, You should have used a pressure sensitive tile adhesive. It dries to the touch(clear) then you install the tile. You need to take up the tiles and let the adhesive dry. Then put a tile primer on it and install the tiles witthout adding any adhesive.

"Flooring Installer for 40 years"

Old 12-25-10, 02:25 AM
C
follow "sam floor" advice

25 yrs experience

Old 01-26-12, 07:04 PM
C
Self-stick tile over Vinyl sheet?

Hi -

So just to confirm, if I want to put stick-down tiles over old vinyl sheet flooring, if I use a self-stick tile primer on the old vinyl I should be ok? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: