Vinyl Peel and Stick Tiles over Foam underlayment?

Old 12-22-10, 05:10 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Peel and Stick Tiles over Foam underlayment?

I am heading towards the end of a two bedroom addition to my home. Where the new hallway is, the flooring that I am butting up against consists of a 1/4" luan, linoleum and then peel and stick tiles.

I have found the same peel and stick vinyl tiles that are on the original flooring and 1/4" luan, but I am not sure what to do to make up the difference in height that is caused by the linleum.

My first thought was to proceed with a .075" plastic underlayment, however, when I ordered this, it turned out to be a foam underlayment that is normally used for laminate flooring. Would this be an acceptable surface for my Peel and stick tiles? If so, how should I attach the foam underlayment to the luan, or just have it be somewhat floating while using the self adhesive strip on the outsides? If not, what are some other options that I could use in order to make a smooth transition from the old to new or elevate the height of the new tiles? One more note, I have already put down my luan and would rather not have to take it back up. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-10, 05:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The peel and stick tiles won't adhere to the underlayment. Your best bet is to transition from one room to the other. A slight build up at the mating surface may can be done, but not likely a DIY project. You may consider 3/8" underlayment rather than 1/4" luan. That will build it up an additional 1/8".

Old 12-22-10, 06:22 AM
B
First off, thank you for the advise. Don't take my questions the wrong way, I am just trying to get all of the knowledge that I can in order to make the best decision on my project.

1) Would it adhere if I spread the tile manufacturer recommended primer over the foam underlayment?

2) Using a 3/8" underlayment wouldn't be much better than transition directly to the laun that is currently down. A pricier route that I could go would be to put down new linoleum and use that as my "spacer". I beleive this would give me the closest fit.

Old 12-22-10, 06:29 AM
No problem. That's why we're here. The foam underlayment will move too much for your tile to remain adhered for long, no matter what you put on it. The underlayment is only about 1/8" thick, right? Why would not adding an additional 1/8" of wood would not take up the same space?? You have 1/4" luan and about 1/8 " of linoleum, so I fail to see where 3/8" plywood wouldn't work to alleviate your transition problem. Fill me in further if I am missing the boat.

Old 12-22-10, 06:37 AM
B
The Linoleum is only about 2mm thick (.078). So it pretty well falls towards the middle of the two. Adding and 1/8" would get me slightly closer, but not by much. But I understand what you are saying about the Foam underlayment. I wasn't sure myself, but wanted to get another opinion before I returned it.

Old 12-22-10, 07:18 AM
B
Chandler, going back to your original idea of a slight build up. That is a pretty good idea. This could be accomplished by using a latex based floor leveler? This would create a very smooth surface for the peel-n-stick tiles as well. I assume that I would want to make the transition over at least a couple of feet. I believe that this would create a pretty smooth transition. Anything further you would like to comment on that idea or anything that I've stated that is incorrect?

Old 12-22-10, 08:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Use a cementious based floor filler. The gypsum based will not hold up to foot traffic.

"Installing flooring since 1973"

Old 12-24-10, 07:26 AM
Nope, just what Sam said. I think you have it licked, now. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-03-11, 08:51 AM
B
I ended up using Durhams Rock Hard in order to build up to the flooring. It worked really well. I then used a latex primer over the top of it and the tiles stick extremely well. You cannot notice the transition as I took it about 2 feet out. Thanks to everyone for their help and advise. It is much appreciated.