Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring
Reload this Page >

Can I restick stick on tiles or cheap alternative for kitchen?

Old 01-25-11, 11:51 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have, what appear to be, cheap stick on tiles in our kitchen. I do not like them, but we don't really have a lot of time or money to spend right now on the kitchen since we are working on some other repairs first.

Some of them have come unstuck. What can I use to restick them? The floor underneath is wood.

Or is there some cheap and easy alternative I could use to replace them myself that would last a year or two until we get the chance to really replace them? I don't have much experience in such things, so it would have to be relatively simple. I wouldn't be willing to spend much more than $300 or $400 on the fix, $500 max if it would last awhile. I have a medium sized kitchen.

Also, two of the tiles that have come up are right in front of the heater vent, so I'm guessing that that is partly causing the issue.

Any suggestions or help would be really much appreciated!!

Thank you!

Old 01-25-11, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Contact cement will work; trouble with that is that they will really be stuck down. The contact cement is likely to have much more holding power than the standard adhesive backing on the tiles.

Old 01-25-11, 07:35 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The advantage of contact cement is that when you did take up the tiles in future, you could remove the old contact cement with lacquer thinner. (I've removed more than my fair share of contact cement with lacquer thinner.)

If it were me, I'd buy a roll of double sided carpet tape and stick them back down with that. Maybe use some mineral spirits to remove any adhesive from the floor and tile back first, tho. And, allow a day or two for any mineral spirits to evaporate from the floor and tile before sticking the tile down with the carpet tape.

A roll of double sided carpet tape will cost you about $10, and a gallon of mineral spirits will be another $10 (tops), so you'll come in $280 under budget.

Old 01-26-11, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What about the vinyl tile adhesive? It would be easier to work with than contact cement and a quart of adhesive shouldn't cost much.

Old 01-26-11, 10:35 AM
F
Vinyl tile adhesive will work and would be the least expensive. You will have the whole can left over to redo floor in the future. Double sided carpet tape will cause rapaired tile to be lifted higher

Old 01-27-11, 11:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm with vinyl tile adhesive as well - after all, it's the one named for the product to which you'd be applying it

Old 02-11-11, 05:49 AM
J
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Contact cement will work; trouble with that is that they will really be stuck down. The contact cement is likely to have much more holding power than the standard adhesive backing on the tiles.
Wouldn't recommend contact cement if one is looking for a temporary fix and will be replacing the floor in the near future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: