I started the project of laying vinyl tiles.....Now what?

Old 02-01-11, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I started the project of laying vinyl tiles.....Now what?

I pulled up the carpet that was in my bathroom to find OSB or pressed type wood flooring. I bought the 12x12 self stick tiles. Can I lay these on that kind of flooring. I really dont want to be out my money. Is there any way to make this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 54 Posts
I'm not a fan of peel and stick vinyl but you probably would have the best chance with them if you put down 1/4" luan over the OSB and then the tiles

Old 02-01-11, 02:16 PM
thamk you very much i will try that

Old 02-11-11, 06:44 AM
Not sure self stick floor tiles are good for bathrooms where leaks are more prone. Floors take a beating in bathrooms and often get wet after showers.

Old 02-14-11, 10:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it wuz me, after laying all your Peel & Stick tiles, I'd use an artificial lambs wool (available at any janitorial supply store) for $10 (or $5 on sale):

To apply multiple coats of acrylic floor finish over that Peel&Stick. (Maybe try applying the finish to one loose tile in advance to ensure the acrylic finish sticks well to the tile and doesn't crack when you walk on it cuz the tile is too soft.)

The acrylic coating will effectively waterproof the joints between the tiles, which are the Achilles Heel of this bathroom floor.

You could do the same with a water based non-yellowing polyurethane meant for hardwood floors as well for a more durable finish.

In either case, get the lamb's wool soaking wet with water, wring it out so that it's just damp, and then use it to apply a coating over the Peel & Stick. Keep the lambs wool wrapped in a CLEAR plastic bag so that it doesn't dry out between coats.

Old 02-19-11, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
If it wuz me, after laying all your Peel & Stick tiles, I'd use an artificial lambs wool (available at any janitorial supply store) for $10 (or $5 on sale):

To apply multiple coats of acrylic floor finish over that Peel&Stick. (Maybe try applying the finish to one loose tile in advance to ensure the acrylic finish sticks well to the tile and doesn't crack when you walk on it cuz the tile is too soft.)

The acrylic coating will effectively waterproof the joints between the tiles, which are the Achilles Heel of this bathroom floor.

You could do the same with a water based non-yellowing polyurethane meant for hardwood floors as well for a more durable finish.

In either case, get the lamb's wool soaking wet with water, wring it out so that it's just damp, and then use it to apply a coating over the Peel & Stick. Keep the lambs wool wrapped in a CLEAR plastic bag so that it doesn't dry out between coats.
LOL, Man that is funny. LOL

Old 02-22-11, 09:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LOL, Man that is funny. LOL
I don't like the idea of using Peel & Stick tiles on a bathroom floor either.

But that's what the guy bought and doesn't want to be out that money. He's wanting any advice we can give on how best to make that work, and waterproofing that floor with a thick coating of acrylic floor finish to seal up the joints between the tiles was the best I could come up with.

No one recommended he use Peel & Stick tiles in his bathroom. He already bought them, wants to use them, and we're just trying to give him advice on how to make the best possible job of it given that it's Peel & Stick.

Last edited by Nestor; 02-22-11 at 09:32 PM.