Cement board and tile over linoleum?

Old 12-30-11, 06:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cement board and tile over linoleum?

Hi, we are remodeling our upstairs bathroom. There is a linoleum floor there right now. I cant get it out without ripping off junks of the subfloor below. Can I put a cement board over the linoleum and tile over that?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-11, 07:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
How old is the floor? You probably have vinyl and not linoleum, the latter is pretty uncommon these days.

What is the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists in the room? What's the composition and thickness of the subfloor? Ceramic or natural stone tile?

Old 12-30-11, 07:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The floor is original, which would be about 20 years old. Not sure what exactly the subfloor composition is, but since the top layer is lifting out with the vinyl/linoleum adhesive in flakes, probably some type of OSB. It seems to be in great shape. I have no idea what the span is of the joists. We are thinking ceramic tile.

Should I just take the top layer of subfloor out (probably 1/4" im assuming) with the vinyl/linoleum and replace it, then some type of tile underlayment and tile?

Old 12-30-11, 08:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I don't know if you have the proper structure and subfloor for tile. Is there a heating vent in the floor? If so, you can often see and measure the height of all of the layers of the floor that way.

Anywhere in the house where you can see the underside of this level's floor to know more about the joists?

Old 12-30-11, 09:11 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the underlayment is 1/4" it is probably luan plywood. If so, it's not a good substrate for tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: