Best way to rip out linoleum

Old 01-07-12, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to rip out linoleum

I want to stain my concrete but first have to tear out the old floor, fake wood looking, nice, well done but very dark so.... stain is
much cheaper and I like the look! I will be able to run it through
my house, all but the bedrooms but.... how to get all the glue and
gunk off!? It must be somewhat smooth for stain to look nice right?
I would like stone/tile as well but....... advise????? :

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-12, 06:14 PM
Staining concrete can have an interesting end result. You never know how the different areas of the concrete will take the stain so it can come out looking really good, like stone or something. Unfortunately, the old glue or floor patch can cause you problems. With concrete, I normally tear off the vinyl layer, leaving the felt backing in place where ever it doesn't come up easily. I then wet the felt down and keep it wet for a couple of days. That normally loosens up the adhesive and makes it easy to get most of it up with a four inch razor scraper. Lots of elbow grease, but there's no magic bullet that I'm aware of. Take some good old hot water and soap to whatever doesn't come up for the rest of the adhesive. Again, more elbow grease, but you don't want to use chemicals or solvents, considering the end result you're looking for. In order to get a good stain job, you need the concrete clean and free of contaminates such as chemicals or solvents.

Old 01-09-12, 08:39 AM
Staining

Yes, I have done one room already with stain, looks so good! The
shade is different in each area and it shows where the carpet was, glue, as well as some cracks but I think that adds to the charm! My husband thinks I'm crazy but tile is expensive, we have a large
home best est. I got was 5000.00, no way!!!! Satin is cheap, fast
no messy clean up of grout for days!!!!!
Will try to rent a machine that "lifts" the old linoleum up but of
course, not the glue! Oh well, we have a very southwest looking
home so I think the look will be just fine!
Thanks for the input!

Old 01-10-12, 07:33 AM
I used an oscillating tool to remove the majority of glue from a wood floor using a scraper attachment. If you have the availabilty to do this, soak floor with methyl hydrate(a small area at a time), and scrape with oscillating tool, or find an odorless lacquer thinner instead of M.H.(in Canada, you can find odorless lacquer thinner at Home Hardware)

Old 01-10-12, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Bad idea to use solvents. They can soak in and affect anything you do after that.

Old 01-14-12, 05:59 AM
Use a floor scrapper to scrape up the paper that linoleum has left behind. Morter up any low spots if u have. Are you going to tile on the ply?