Installing vinyl peel/stick over old linoleum floor?

Old 02-08-12, 10:25 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing vinyl peel/stick over old linoleum floor?

I'm going to be installing peel and stick tiles in my mothers rental and have a problem with the very old linoleum sheet floor peeling up at the base of the tub. I don't want to remove the old flooring as I am afraid of the difficulty this might turn out to be. Can anyone suggest any ideas that I might be able to use?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-12, 12:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 877 Votes on 807 Posts
Well, if you don't want to remove the the sheet flooring and you are set on peel & stick flooring you are boxed in. You can use screws or staples to try and hold down the old flooring as best possible but I assume there is some water damage and swelling so it will not be perfect.

Old 02-08-12, 10:59 PM
O
Well I guess I was thinking it would be possible to slice off the peeled up part, the put some sort of filler or bond to make even?

Old 02-09-12, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Yes it is possible. It is done all the time in rentals.

Old 02-09-12, 06:12 PM
O
I'm sensing that it's not very recommended

Old 02-09-12, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Peel and stick won't last long.

Old 02-10-12, 11:06 AM
S
Two ways to approach repairs in a rental. One, fix it right so you can avoid calls from tenants at 9:00 on a Saturday night. Or, Two, get it done as cheaply as possible so that you avoid the place becoming a money pit. Trust me, I've had to make this choice over and over again. I usually error on the side of number one. If you want to fix it permanently, I'd take up what's there and put in an inexpensive porcelain (not ceramic) tile. Definitely more work and expense, but you won't have to screw with it again. If you want a temporary fix, try floating vinyl. It snaps together, but is not glued to the floor. The only problem i see is possible water penetration where the tile meets the tub. You'd need to seal it well and keep an eye on it in the future. Self stick tile would look pretty crappy from the start, and I'd bet my life it would not stay down very long in your situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: