how to patch up a partly torn up linoleum floor

Old 02-15-12, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to patch up a partly torn up linoleum floor

I started ripping up an old linoleum floor in an upstairs bathroom and through ignorance later realized there could be asbestos in the flooring and stopped about 1/4 into the project. I got it tested and it does have asbestos.

I dont really have the money to have someone come remove it professionally. I know that putting new flooring over is ok but i need to patch in the part i ripped up to make it level.

I was going to just use self leveling compound but through reading online found that it shouldnt be applied over the linoleum flooring as it may rip it up as it dries. What else can I use to patch up the floor and then put new linoleum down over?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
I would think something like Henry Featheredge would prob work just fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "as it may rip it up as it dries". Is this real linoleum (sheet or tile) or a backed vinyl of some sort?

Old 02-15-12, 01:30 PM
I read that as the self leveling compound dries it shrinks and it could pull up the flooring in the process underneath. But im thinking if I just put it in the gaps and dont put as much on the actual flooring it should be fine?

Yeah i bought the Henry self leveling compound, is the feathering version different?

It is a sheet of linoleum flooring, that I think was the original (built 1976), it appears to have some paper type backing that was really hard to remove the little part I did already remove.

Old 02-15-12, 03:54 PM
And i guess while im here and things just havent been going well on this project let me ask something else....

I am planning on putting down 12" square vinyl tiles and grouting between them in this full bathroom, is there any water leakage issues with this?

Old 02-15-12, 07:13 PM
Most of those type vinyl tiles use a "plastic" type grout that is very water proof. You shouldn't have an issue so long as you follow the directions. As to patching the part you tore up, I would use a product called feather finish, made by a company called Ardex. I've never heard of one from Henry's called feather edge, but there could be one. Ardex, way back when, called theirs feather edge, but changed it to feather finish a while back. I've never had a problem with SLC pulling anything loose, but I suppose it's possible someone else may have. If the area to be patched is big enough, I think I'd go for the SLC. Just make sure you use a primer first in order to get a good bond. Also, make sure you strip the old floor before starting to put down the new product, just in case it has wax on it. Glue and wax are not friends. Another alternative would be to put down a 1/4 inch underlayment and just start fresh, so to speak.

Old 02-16-12, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
My bad ... it is indeed Feather Finish, not Featheredge. It says Henry 549 and also "engineered with ARDEX technology".